Gaff Gun

rsmentele

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Have any of you guys seen this new product? It looks cool at first.

http://www.gaffgun.com/

What are your thoughts? Might be nice if it works well, if not, its a big waste of money...

Have any of you guys seen this new product? It looks cool at first.

http://www.gaffgun.com/

What are your thoughts? Might be nice if it works well, if not, its a big waste of money...

Looks like it could be nice, especially for those with bad backs/bad knees. My big fear with something like this is that is uses proprietary rolls of tape. The price is good right now, but who knows when they might decide to jack up the price of tape. The other problem is that they could go out of business and you won't be able to get the tape at all.

Proprietary tape requirement is an instant turn-off.

Prop folks and those who lay dance floors a lot, are very, very picky about which tape they use and I think the only reason they made this proprietary is to lock in the sale of tape.

Sorry, not doing that !.

I agree that the proprietary tape issue means I would never purchase it. I have rigged my own tape roller several times for different applications. Now I will consider adding some sort of cord guide, it's a good idea.
Also, stop calling it a "Gun". and lose the "revolution" talk.
Tone it down a bit fellas. It's a rolling tape dispenser.

The issue of the proprietary gaff... i was hoping its not the case, but they don't really say on the website if you have to use theirs or not....

I think if that was the case, it would be smart of them to change that!

Looks like they have (or will have) a " standard tape adaptor" on the accessory page.
Apparently the core of their tape has some sort of centering index.

Josh beat me to it.

Last edited:
So low tech.

Kickstarter idea: Marley Floor -> Gaff tape -> Roomba. Go.

Call it the Goomba.
proxy.php

Also, in the hands of my HS tech's they might be able to waste about 5 times as much gaff tape as they do already.

I wonder how much different their tape is. I mean it looks like your standard roll of gaff. I'd say if the standard gaff comes a bit bigger on the roll have some set aside that will fit after being used a bit.

So rarely have I ever had to just tape down a single run. Seems like I'm either taping 4-8 DMX/XLR/SOOW cables down, or stuffing lots of multi cable or feeder into cable troughs. It's a pretty cool product but the real world applications feel limited to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

We do a lot of setups throughout the summer where we are taping down just one or two mic lines, and an extension cord. We have a few setups that are put up on a regular basis that uses just a single (well dual) RCA cable and a power cable.
I can see it as a nice toy to have in the tool box, but not sure how much actual use it would get.

We do LOTS of ad-hoc remote sets and this looks like a cool tool that could save our crews loads of time and, in turn, improve our "value proposition". Their adapters apparently accommodate multiple cable groupings and gaff tape widths so perhaps we can avoid hauling around and loading the black rubber multi-cable covers. We'll buy one and see if it's worthwhile. If it is :) If it isn't then...

It looks useful for some of the short gigs I do for where we have to lay and tape carpet/tarkett, but the size and cost are a turn-off, not to mention the pain of explaining how to use it to an ASM/mech when I could more easily just throw them a roll of gaff and say "please tape down here, here, and here."

Also, I'm Australian. Shipping this sort of stuff down here usually costs a king's ransom. If they were readily available down here, I'd consider it, but until then, I'm fine without.

Hi all,

I just saw an add for Gaffgun. Anyone use this product? Reviews? It is about $300 to get into it. It looks interesting, though. For those of us who no longer crawl on the floor, it might be really useful.

John

As an electrician, I agree with most of the comments above...
I doubt I would use it that often for taping down cables
Many good points why it may take longer or
just not work for what we are taping...

But I work in a repertory theatre with 3 show's running in rep
2 show's per day and depending on season and show's
we could have 3 - 40'X40' floor cloths that need taped down twice a day.

This could be handy for something like that

... we could have 3 - 40'X40' floor cloths that need taped down twice a day.
This could be handy for something like that
There are better and less expensive devices on the market. Google "floor tape dispenser." Dance companies have been building their own for at least thirty years (or since the invention of Marley vinyl dance floor).

How many stagehands use their c-wrench as an axle with another person to pull out long runs of tape? Sure saves the hands from being cut by the spool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back