Gauze Maze

Davetp

i am in the early proscess of planning a haunted house tour for Spring-Time to be different than a normal haloween special.

i had an idea of there being a maze witch had gauses in to that would look translucent and then opace
is there an oline store where i could get cheep good gauses for this effect

on that note
how would i paint the gause. i want it to be hard to see but not so hard health and safty hate me.

First thought would be Rose Brand for materials. I'm not certain if they service the UK, but they are a pretty large company so it's possible. Second thought would be the flammability of gauze. You're going to want to look for something IFR or FR. I would look for chameleon scrim for starters, but it might not be translucent enough for what you're thinking.

Gerriets is a German company that manufactures stage fabrics, including scrim (gauze in the UK). You can paint scrim, as long as you keep the paints thin enough to not clog up the weave of the fabric.

The problem I see is that scrim is fragile, and may not stand up to the traffic of a walk-through attraction. Rose Brand has some plastic outdoor fabrics, like Textilene, that share some properties of scrim and may be more durable.

I agree with @kicknargel although scrim is the perfect material to make a maze switch from being opaque to translucent, it's very fragile and would be quickly destroyed if the audience has access to touch it. It's also pretty expensive stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back