Genesis lighting video?

nopeda

Are any of you old enough to remember when Genesis came out with the first moving light show on their Mama tour, using Vari-Lites which I believe they were investors in? I remember seeing a good article about it in Lighting Dimensions. Later when a VHS of the tour came out I could hardly wait to watch it. Unfortunatley it only showed a very very brief few seconds of the lighting, not doing it any justice at all. Does anyone know if there's any video available from that tour that allows us to see the light show? The best I've found so far is a Vari-Lite promo that looks like it's from that same show, and maybe they're running through most of the main programs used on the tour:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's a pretty good representation and a whole lot better than the Mama VHS, but I'm hoping there's even more available out there somewhere...

Thank you for any help!
David

Typing in "Genesis Mama Concert" in Youtube comes back with several hits of the full concert.

Typing in "Genesis Mama Concert" in Youtube comes back with several hits of the full concert.
I've seen it and from what I remember it only showed a very very brief few seconds of the lighting, not doing it any justice at all.

I was watching it specifically looking for shots of the lighting and the way I remember it they only showed a very few backed off shots of the lighting. They may have shown a good bit of backed off views between songs, but when the band was playing it was always close shots of the band. They would show the bass player during guitar and keyboard solos, etc..., but not shots that let people appreciate the light show. One thing that may have been a reason for that is that there was criticism about the lighting being a distraction from the band performance. I remember some people said something about that in the Lighting Dimensions article. Remember it was the first time people had seen anything like that, and not everybody is a lighting enthusiast. But the band's reaction to it was that Genesis isn't a band that runs around a whole lot, so they liked having the lights as a big visual addition. Maybe the video editors didn't agree.

That tour was '87 I believe, maybe '86. The video I've seen from it is of such poor quality that you won't get a lot of satisfaction from it unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back