GLE 750 lamp in a Strand Selecon Pacific?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I'm looking for a longer life higher powered option to the GLA's that the previous theater manager was using here in the Selecon Pacifics. Searching all the Strand documentation, I see that the GLE 750 is never listed as an option for the Selecon Pacific. However there are short life 750 watt options which are much brighter (and I assume hotter as well). The Musson Website sells the GLE HX 755 lamp and lists it as for use in Selecon Pacifics.

I noticed that they only seem to list lamps made by Philips as options for the Selecon Pacific. I'm suspicious that this is just a matter of a Phillips owned company not wanting to recommend an Osram Sylvania made lamp? Is there a reason not to use the long life 750 watt GLE in a Selecon?

Last edited:
Even assuming a long life runs a little hotter ( I have no idea if it does or not) I would think it would be fine heat wise since you can run a 1000w lamp in them with a different cap. It does look like they are only reccomending phillips lamps, and phillips doesn't seem to make a GLE so I would assume like you that it's just marketing.

In the process of researching this question I found this lamp on Amazon. WOW! I think I might trip a breaker trying to power up one of these.
lamp.png

I could totally run 6 of those and have a whole 50amps left over on each leg. Anyone have links to an 800 amp plug? I think my 20 plugs are a little underrated for these lamps.
I may need some new cables too. Is there such a thing as negative gauge cable because I don't think a zero gauge will cut it.

Actually an interesting question, given that there are road houses/convention centers/arenas with 800 amp services... according to http://www.usawire-cable.com/pdfs/NEC AMPACITIES.pdf, 2000 kcmil wire is only rated to 760 amps, so I'm not sure what you do after that. Rely on the 80% rule maybe?

I have 2 800 amp services running to my dimmers, and another 600 amp service on the deck. I think there are 2 cables for each leg on each of the 2 800 amp services if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I've been in that box though.

@DELO72 any comment from the Osram Sylvania camp?

GLD is the highest output version. 300hrs. GLE is the lower output, long life (1500hrs.) version. As Shakepearse said, "The flame that burns twice as hot burns but half as long." (I'm paraphrasing) Both are 750W, 115V. A long life lamp is ALWAYS dimmer than the short life version because the way you get the longer life is by sacrificing the brightness. You are burning the filiament at a lower temperature, and as a result it will last longer, but put out less light. GLD = 19,000 lumens. GLE = 17,400 lumens.
Unless you go to a 1000W or 1200W, or down to an 80 Volt option (providing the fixture supports either), you won't find a brigther solution.

FEL --even though it is 1000W, is going to be dimmer as it has a longer coil, and is 120V, so it'll burn cooler than the 115V GLD, and the bigger coil likely won't optimize as well in the reflector. It might also be too hot for the socket depending. I'm not sure what the rating is on the Selecon's lampholder-- but don't exceed the recommended lamp spec. they list.

FYI- any ANSI or LIF (CP/xx) coded lamp (Incandescent or Halogen) should be roughly the same from any manufacturer. Sure there is a little variation within the ANSI spec. and maybe you've had better luck with one brand over another in terms of them meeting life, or not having early arc-outs, but in general, a GLD is a GLD. It doesn't matter who makes it. In order to call a lamp a GLD, each MFN has to make that lamp meet the ANSI criteria of a "GLD". So while Selecon might list one brand in their catalog, you should get the same performance (within ANSI tolerance) from the other lamp MFNs' version as well. And FEL is an FEL. Some brands might have a longer fill tip, some might use a ceramic base, some might wrap their lamps in foam (*wink, wink*). But the spec. will be the same as it is an ANSI-coded lamp. Just FYI.

A long life lamp is ALWAYS dimmer than the short life version because the way you get the longer life is by sacrificing the brightness. You are burning the filiament at a lower temperature, and as a result it will last longer, but put out less light. GLD = 19,000 lumens. GLE = 17,400 lumens.

Thanks Mark. I'm currently using a GLA 575 lamp. So I'm looking for a way to upgrade the output without sacrificing long life performance. Switching to a GLE is a nice little 4,000 lumen upgrade without going into a short life lamp.

Thanks Mark. I'm currently using a GLA 575 lamp. So I'm looking for a way to upgrade the output without sacrificing long life performance. Switching to a GLE is a nice little 4,000 lumen upgrade without going into a short life lamp.

Here is a document with the entire family:

What is this fascination with long life lamps?? How are we supposed to stay in business if you folks keep buying the long life ones??? Who wants a Prius when they can drive a Ferarri?? :)

Here is a document with the entire family:What is this fascination with long life lamps?? How are we supposed to stay in business if you folks keep buying the long life ones??? Who wants a Prius when they can drive a Ferarri?? :)

Thanks Mark, that's a great comparison chart.

Actually I'm thinking going from a GLA to a GLE is more like going from a Honda Civic to a Ferarri with a REALLY big gas tank on the back.

Thanks Mark, that's a great comparison chart.

Actually I'm thinking going from a GLA to a GLE is more like going from a Honda Civic to a Ferarri with a REALLY big gas tank on the back.

I'll maybe give you Civic to Mustang, a GLE isn't a Ferrari. You'll have to go GLD to get that. Swapping lamp caps and going to the 1000w 27000 lumen 250hr GAC is probably what it takes to get to Ferrari status though.

Actually an interesting question, given that there are road houses/convention centers/arenas with 800 amp services... according to http://www.usawire-cable.com/pdfs/NEC AMPACITIES.pdf, 2000 kcmil wire is only rated to 760 amps, so I'm not sure what you do after that. Rely on the 80% rule maybe?
There are two options if 2000 kcmil is not enough for your application.

Option [HASHTAG]#1[/HASHTAG] Parallel : Run two conductors in Parallel in place of one. Gives you not-quite twice the capacity. (look up rules for actual capacity)
Option [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] BIGGER WIRE : There is actually wire LARGER than 2000 kcmil, a lot larger.

The larger conductors are rarely used, at least in the scope of the NEC in general. They are also EXTREMELY expensive, Parallel runs is cheaper and easier to work with.
I have a friend who was using (I forget exactly, 5000 kcmil perhaps?) some much larger cable for a series of substations for a wind turbine project. The conductors used heading to the main high-tension trunk (using ANOTHER substation to connect to the main trunk heading from Bruce-nuclear). The conductors needed to be crimped using high-explosives as there are very few crimping "units" big enough to do the job (and they are literally a TRUCK, not kidding) and they deemed it cheaper to use explosives.

I tell you they got a jolt every time a crimp was made.

For the same project termite was used to weld the ground nets for the substations.

Even if you look at the big high-tension power lines, if you look there are generally 4 conductors together for each "line".

Dionysus: a good example is the building mains here. We have three 4000A mains and one 5000A mains. If I recall, the fours take seven 4" conduits and the five take eight 4". Those get loaded with 500kcmil or 600kcmil to parallel the load. (Side note: the building is 600k sf, and a convention center, hotel, and 10k seat arena)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back