Good deal or not? Used 1KL instruments.

JLNorthGA

Older used Altman ellipsoidal instruments - optics (reflectors and lenses) in good shape, instruments look really good except for the shutters, some of which have broken off or are missing.
(3) 30 degree Model # 1KL6- 30
(2) 40 degree Model # 1KL6- 40
(5) 20 – 40 degree variable zooms Model # 1KL6- 20 – 40

The seller wants $500 for the 10 instruments.

Tell the seller they are more valuable as scrap.

Tell the seller they are more valuable as scrap.
Whatcha tryin' to say there, GTG?
proxy.php

http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/altman-1kl6-12-ellipsoidal.17348/
http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/old-altman-1kl-ellipsoidals.22917/
http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/altman-1kl.8206/

How much are they paying you to take them?

Shutters last I checked were almost $10 each, so that can add up quick. Parts are also impossible/difficult to find. I would pass and would probably hesitate even if they were free.

Last edited:
I've got 8 of the 1KL6-50's...and they are only used as a last resort. They are large, heavy, and inefficient. I'll be using 4 of them in my next show, Oklahoma. It is being done in-the-round and behind each audience riser section (4) there are some 20' x 8' paintings. The director just wants them dimly lit during the show and be a little bit brighter during pre-show and intermission. Sounds like a perfect pairing for these fixtures, just about all that they are good for.

Beyond things like that, they just flat out don't work, even with a GLC lamp. This is also ignoring the fact that the shutters never want to move.

I've had other designers come in and think that we didn't know how to bench focus only to discover that we actually had them benched to be as bright as possible. I've previously used the zooms in another venue and those were even worse.

They remain in my stock only because I don't have money to upgrade. Otherwise, they are just complete junk. I probably wouldn't even take any more of them even if someone gave them to me.

How about if they were free? As in someone is offering to pay for them?

I can see they are not well regarded. Frankly with our space, I would rather have 10 Source Four Jr. Zooms. But that isn't going to happen.

Our 1KLs are not even as bright as our Strand SL 575W, and they take up almost twice the power and loads more weight. Our rather poorly designed catwalk means that they are very difficult to focus, and the shutters get warped and stuck. The shutters themselves are awkwardly designed.

But no, really, they're my favourite....

If someone is willing to front some budget money, I'd hold out for something better. Even the 360Q is much better and will be easier to service/maintain, and about the same price at around $50/ea used.

I don't think in good conscience I could let even someone else "gift" them to me. Even if not for their inefficiency, consider the fact that if you burn out a reflector or crack a lens, you may be out of luck short of buying another used fixture to scavenge parts off of. They're an obsolete fixture in just about every regard.

I'm glad to know others also have the same feelings I have toward these fixtures. I always hated the shutter design. Though I do like the way the lens housing opens easily with the two latches, makes for easy cleaning. I have about 60 of these in 20/40 zoom and 12 degree. Not in the current inventory though, just pulled out when needed, and even then as a last resort. Maybe someday they'll make the trip to the scrapyard for cash.

I used to be the TD for a non-profit theatre group up until a few years ago. During that time, I was given 30 1KL6-20-40° units. A local university was getting rid of them and wanted to "donate them to a good cause". I cleaned them up and got them all working again. They were used for one show and then the space we were using decided that we couldn't bring any fixtures in and must use their woefully inadequate inventory. They haven't been used since then and have been sitting in a trailer. Last week, the Executive Director contacted me, asking what the value of the fixtures is. (I think it is for tax or insurance reasons.) I know there would be some value if they were broken down into scrap and sold, but is there any value to them as is?

Last edited:
Why not donate them to the space you were using ?

Do they really not want more and free gear ?

I don't know that they are trying to get rid of them, just need to know what the value, if any is.

I don't know that they are trying to get rid of them, just need to know what the value, if any is.

Since it's for tax or insurance purposes, I'd value them at around $50 each (which is about the going rate on eBay (if not higher, but those people - both buyers and sellers - are crazy). I look at it as more of a functional thing - they are assets as standby inventory and if lost or stolen, it would cost money to replace them.

This is the rule of thumb I use when donating used gear to non-profits. Shop used listings and value them at around the median asking price.

Since it's for tax or insurance purposes, I'd value them at around $50 each (which is about the going rate on eBay (if not higher, but those people - both buyers and sellers - are crazy). I look at it as more of a functional thing - they are assets as standby inventory and if lost or stolen, it would cost money to replace them.

This is the rule of thumb I use when donating used gear to non-profits. Shop used listings and value them at around the median asking price.
Thanks @Les! That's what I needed.

Reactions: Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back