Control/Dimming GrandMA1 to ENTTEC Artnet Datagate

Hello

I have a small issue that I hope someone can help me out with....

I'm currently trying to configure a GrandMA1 to communicate via the Ethernet port to an ENTTEC Mk2 Datagate in order to output Art-Net. Unfortunately, for some reason or another, the two devices are not communicating with each other because when I "Scan for Nodes" in the DMX configuration Menu, the Datagate is no where to be found.

Here's the Setup:
GrandMA1, Datagate, and Laptop are connected to a D-Link 4-Port Switch (NOT ROUTER)
GrandMA1 IP Address: 192.168.0.1 (Art-Net from console Defaults to 2.168.0.1)
Datagate IP Address:2.168.0.11
Laptop IP Address is: 2.168.0.100 (Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0)
All IP Address are fixed

The Ports on the Datagate are set-up in the default configuration for "Artnet-to-DMX" with the SUBNET and ID ports addressed as Universe A 0:0 Universe B 0:1 Universe C 0:2 Universe D 0:3...etc

The console is configured for "DMX Output via Ethernet" with the protocol set to Artnet and the addresses are set to Universe A 0:0, Universe B 0:1, Universe C, 0:2, Universe D 0:3...etc

"ENABLED IF ALONE" is activated (GREEN)

All of the Ethernet Cables test good and have full connectivity.

Even with this setup, I can not get them to communicate with each other.

I have searched far and wide to find a manual for the ENTTEC Datagate but it is nonexistent. All that's available is a quick start guide with very elementary configuration instructions.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this problem? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You Calvin Johnson
Innovativeilluminations.com
www.youtube.com/innovativelights

If you are in the 255.255.255.0 subnet then the first 3 sets of numbers in all the IP's must be the same, i.e. 192.168.0.* (* is considered a wildcard and could be any number between 0 and 255) otherwise the devices will not be able to see or communicate with each other without a router and associated Subnet Mapping. Ether set your GrandMa to the IP of 2.168.0.1 OR set your Datagate to the IP of 192.168.0.11, whichever one is easier to do, then try again. It should work, I've never used a GrandMa or an Entec Datagate, but networking standards are pretty much the same no matter what device you are using.

In all honesty, if you can, the easiest thing to do would be to turn the DHCP Server/Daemon in your GrandMa ON (if it has one, I know the ETC ION does) and then enable DHCP on your Datagate (if you can) and let it pull an address from the DHCP Server automatically. Then write down that IP and subnet mask and then set it as a static/fixed IP so it doesn't change. That should work.

Also if Art-Net is anything like ETCNet3 your Switch must support Multicasting, and IGMP Snooping and Spanning Tree both need to be disabled, you may need to purchase a managed switch, regular consumer hardware may not work. Have never used Art-Net, only ETCNet3 so I could be completely off on this.

Last edited:
For anyone else looking here for a fix the Subnet needs to be changed to 255.0.0.0 ,(ip 2.0.0.X)
On the datagate to talk to artnet
Use the NMU utility from enntec site
This worked for me
Good luck!

Hello

I have a small issue that I hope someone can help me out with....

I'm currently trying to configure a GrandMA1 to communicate via the Ethernet port to an ENTTEC Mk2 Datagate in order to output Art-Net. Unfortunately, for some reason or another, the two devices are not communicating with each other because when I "Scan for Nodes" in the DMX configuration Menu, the Datagate is no where to be found.

Here's the Setup:
GrandMA1, Datagate, and Laptop are connected to a D-Link 4-Port Switch (NOT ROUTER)
GrandMA1 IP Address: 192.168.0.1 (Art-Net from console Defaults to 2.168.0.1)
Datagate IP Address:2.168.0.11
Laptop IP Address is: 2.168.0.100 (Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0)
All IP Address are fixed

The Ports on the Datagate are set-up in the default configuration for "Artnet-to-DMX" with the SUBNET and ID ports addressed as Universe A 0:0 Universe B 0:1 Universe C 0:2 Universe D 0:3...etc

The console is configured for "DMX Output via Ethernet" with the protocol set to Artnet and the addresses are set to Universe A 0:0, Universe B 0:1, Universe C, 0:2, Universe D 0:3...etc

"ENABLED IF ALONE" is activated (GREEN)

All of the Ethernet Cables test good and have full connectivity.

Even with this setup, I can not get them to communicate with each other.

I have searched far and wide to find a manual for the ENTTEC Datagate but it is nonexistent. All that's available is a quick start guide with very elementary configuration instructions.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this problem? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You Calvin Johnson
Innovativeilluminations.com
www.youtube.com/innovativelights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back