Greenroom Monitor - Speaker Recommendations

I'm looking to create a monitor for my small theater's green room. I've got a spare channel on a Crown CE 2000 power amp and can easily feed my mic mix to it using existing cabling. But I know next to nothing about speakers, so I'm looking for recommendations for one to use in this situation—or at least what to look for. Doesn't really need to be anything fancy, since it's sole purpose is to keep my actors apprised of their upcoming cues. I'd like it to be something I could mount on the wall fairly easily.

If it matters, the room is about 10'x18' with drywall, concrete floor with an area rug, and a suspended tile ceiling.

I'm looking to create a monitor for my small theater's green room. I've got a spare channel on a Crown CE 2000 power amp and can easily feed my mic mix to it using existing cabling. But I know next to nothing about speakers, so I'm looking for recommendations for one to use in this situation—or at least what to look for. Doesn't really need to be anything fancy, since it's sole purpose is to keep my actors apprised of their upcoming cues. I'd like it to be something I could mount on the wall fairly easily.

If it matters, the room is about 10'x18' with drywall, concrete floor with an area rug, and a suspended tile ceiling.

One or two cheap 4-8 ohm speakers.

Several things to consider if more than one - I put a volume control (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090301&p_id=8243&seq=1&format=2) on each one. if there is more than one speaker off that single channel, you may need an impedance matching splitter (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_...&kpid=108230&gclid=CO_5kZTYrcUCFdgQgQodmIkAzQ). This is critical if there are more than two.

One or two cheap 4-8 ohm speakers.

Several things to consider if more than one - I put a volume control (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090301&p_id=8243&seq=1&format=2) on each one. if there is more than one speaker off that single channel, you may need an impedance matching splitter (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_...&kpid=108230&gclid=CO_5kZTYrcUCFdgQgQodmIkAzQ). This is critical if there are more than two.

I think I'm only going to need one speaker, but just to make sure I understand: I could safely wire two 4-ohm speakers in series, creating an circuit with 8 ohms of resistance?

Atlas SM42T or an EV S40 would be a good choice. How far is the speaker wire run?

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish that such speakers were sold individually; I really don't think I need more than one. The speaker wire run would be about 15 feet; the amplifier cabinet is literally right next to the green room.

As an aside, what do people think about a coaxial ceiling-mounted speaker for a task like this?

I think I'm only going to need one speaker, but just to make sure I understand: I could safely wire two 4-ohm speakers in series, creating an circuit with 8 ohms of resistance?

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish that such speakers were sold individually; I really don't think I need more than one. The speaker wire run would be about 15 feet; the amplifier cabinet is literally right next to the green room.

As an aside, what do people think about a coaxial ceiling-mounted speaker for a task like this?

Wiring speakers in series would combine their impedances as you suggested. This is rarely done in practice since if 1 speaker fails they both do. Likely not a major issue in a green room speaker though.

Ceiling mounted speaker would likely be the better option if you have an ACT ceiling to mount it in. Less likely to get banged up if set pieces are ever moved through the green room, and looks better. If you have a gypboard or concrete ceiling though, wall-mounted will be easier to install.

Wiring speakers in series would combine their impedances as you suggested. This is rarely done in practice since if 1 speaker fails they both do. Likely not a major issue in a green room speaker though.

Ceiling mounted speaker would likely be the better option if you have an ACT ceiling to mount it in. Less likely to get banged up if set pieces are ever moved through the green room, and looks better. If you have a gypboard or concrete ceiling though, wall-mounted will be easier to install.

To follow up: if I were instead to connect the same two speakers in parallel, the total impedance would be 4*4/4+4=2 ohms, correct? And if I used 8-ohm speakers, it would be 8*8/8+8=4 ohms? If that's the case, I might as well wire them in parallel, as my amp can handle 2, 4, or 8 ohm impedences.

I think I am going to go with some cheap Pyle 4-8 ohm in-ceiling speakers. The green room does indeed have acoustic tiles, which should make installation a breeze, and I was a little worried about wall-mounted speakers being in the way.

To follow up: if I were instead to connect the same two speakers in parallel, the total impedance would be 4*4/4+4=2 ohms, correct? And if I used 8-ohm speakers, it would be 8*8/8+8=4 ohms? If that's the case, I might as well wire them in parallel, as my amp can handle 2, 4, or 8 ohm impedences.

I think I am going to go with some cheap Pyle 4-8 ohm in-ceiling speakers. The green room does indeed have acoustic tiles, which should make installation a breeze, and I was a little worried about wall-mounted speakers being in the way.

Your math is correct, but I would stick to series wiring in your case. Crown amplifiers are "technically" rated for 2 ohms, however they also run hotter and breakdown sooner. When speakers provide less impedance / resistance (i.e. 2 ohms in your case), the amplifier draws more current which causes problems.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I was thinking about wiring parallel was so I could put separate volume controls on each speaker. I'll stick to series wiring for the added safety margin. Just one more question: if the speakers I'm looking at are rated 4-8 ohms, does that mean that in some cases and at some frequencies they might create an 8-ohm resistance? Will that be a problem if I'm wiring in series, or is only lower impedance dangerous for the amp?

Bought a pair of Pyle PDIC81RD In-Ceiling Speakers and volume control. Wired one up for a test and decided I really only need one of them in my greenroom as it produces plenty of sound. So we'll have a spare, which won't hurt anything; you never know when such a thing might come in handy. I'm going to install a wall plate near the amp cabinet and make up a couple of plug patch cables so we can patch the greenroom monitor only when we need it for a show.

Thanks again for all your advice. It was really helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back