Hanging a chandelier-Safest way

For a year 13 assessment piece, they have built (safely, been checked by myself, head of department and H+S) a chandelier designed to look as if made out of icicles. (Will upload images when I get home, problems with the school system won't let me upload them atm but to give you a rough idea, its a hula-hoop with bamboo batons for the frame, with the icicles made from empty 2-litre bottles, cut and moulded to shape). I'm not sure the exact weight of the piece as I've not had a chance to hang it from my weight meter yet, but it by feel its about 1/3 if not 1/4 the weight of a standard Par64. I have my mate all correct for heights and such, but my question is on the best way of securing it to our rig IE line and knot type. I was thinking a clove hitch and a strong fishing line (the stuff used for BIG fish) should be sufficient. If anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them.

For lightweight stuff, I usually use 1/16" cable. For heavier stuff, I use 1/8" cable. I usually paint it flat black. I figure with a breaking strength of 1000 lbs, I don't have to worry. If it can be used on a garage door - it should work for anything I want to lift.

While i too would prefer 1/16 or similar, the only other options I would go with for anything lightweight overhead that would still hurt if it hit you would be ~20ga galvanized wire or Paracord, or maybe archery string. I've just never trusted fishing line for anything more substantial than foam or fabric.

Forgot to mention it won't actually be overhead, we have a large table, similar to a banquet/feasting table, over which it will be suspended, lowest point 8ft off the floor, highest at 11ft10, so if it DOES fall, then the distance, combined with the light weight shouldn't cause too much damage beyond a minor bump on the head (seriously, lifting this thing is like lifting a pillow) unless for some obscure reason it decides to swing as it falls an someone gets a plastic bottle icicle in the eye (again, being over the middle of a table it SHOULDN'T happen, but always prepared for the worst)

I did this a while ago aswell, i used an 8mm rope black(the rope wouldn't actually been seen) an an auto locking climbing belay device. I rigged a change of direction with a climbing sling an a pully, attached the grigri to a sling an put that around a lighting bar. there was another pully at the start of the electric i was using. We tied a not at the bottom of the grigri for when we wanted it to lower at a certain spot and a note where we raised it. we ran the bottom end of the rope again through a bully on the eletiric and pulled that end to raise and pulled the handle on the grigri to lower

Don't use fishing line, if it really is so light weight get a proper strength tie line or sash cord, or do it with wire rope. As for knots it is hard to say, a bowline or retrace eight are great anchor knots and a clove with a back up hitch works well, it all depends on the apparatus and what you are anchoring it to.

I just hung two chandeliers using 1/8" anti twist aircraft cable, but in the past I've always used regular 1/8" aircraft cable. I wouldn't use para cord, it's too stretchy for the application, and I wouldn't hang anything more than a paper lantern from tie line. You could certainly use sash cord or black rope but 1/8" GAC Is certainly less noticeable.

I think monofilament does have stage applications, you just have to be realistic about its strength. In our current show we have about 40 plastic and foam apples hanging from the stuff and I don't lose any sleep over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Another voice saying use 1/16" aircraft cable. It'll be minimally visible and plenty strong enough. Since this does sound like a lower risk application it might be a good time to practice swaging the cable. Because of the risks involved with overhead lifting it's something most stagehands haven't done very often.

Nylon rope is also perfectly workable especially if it has to fly in and out. You can get some very strong nylon ropes down to 1 or 2mm. Dyneema rope which was introduced for the sailing industry is extremely strong, often as strong or stronger than galvanised SWR. It knots better and is friendlier on the hands if you are hoisting it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back