Hard-Wired Intercom System

dabomb4097

Hello,

My application has nothing to do with theater, but it seems that the equipment I'm trying to work with is widely used for theater communications so I figured you all might be able to help me. This site is the only one that comes up when I Google the intercom products I'm trying to work with.

I work at a large industrial facility that uses individually powered headsets to communicate with plug in stations throughout our facility. The headsets we have are very old and starting to fail, but we can't find a direct replacement for them or a new system that would work like our existing one and use the existing infrastructure. The headsets that we have are from a company called "R Columbia" and say "Model T4/IC" on them. As far as I can tell, R Columbia has gone out of business and doesn't exist anymore. A Google search for "R Columbia" only finds a few threads on this forum.

Our unique needs comes from the existing infrastructure and the function of the current system. We plug the headsets into 1/4" barrel plugs that are connected to a 2-wire unbalanced bus. The intercom wiring is mostly put together from un-usued conductors in existing control system cables. Cable distances on this bus between headsets could be up to 2000 feet. There is no central power supply for the intercom, each headset is powered and self-amplified by its own 9V battery. The other (and very very important to us) function is that communication is full-duplex and hands free. There are no PTT or Call buttons, we just plug the headset into any jack in the facility and can start yelling at whoever else is plugged in, hands free. We want to be able to shout over each other and such. I can't find ANY modern headset ntercom system that works like this.

Is there ANYTHING out there today that would meet our needs or serve as a direct replacement for the R Columbua T4/IC headset? We need no central power with individual batteries on each headset, only uses two wires and 1/4" barrel connectors for headsets, and full-duplex hands free communication.

Thanks!

Thanks all. It looks like the powered carbon mic type is what we have. I tried to contact the Audiosears Corp but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

At some point we bought a set of those David Clark voice powered headsets to try out on the system...but due to the long distances the signals have to travel the voice powered were far too quiet without active amplification depending on where in the facility you were, and the amplifier available for those were not hands free (required holding a PTT button on a belt pack) and not full-duplex.

Phone companies usually have MRC locations (Materials Reclamation Center.) The phone company is the birthplace of the carbon microphone system. You may be able to fine an MRC in your area and parse their junk bins and find the exact replacements you are looking for! MRC's do not advertise, so it can be a real treasure hunt locating one unless you know someone in the phone industry. (I have one a mile from my house and if I didn't know it was there, would have never found it)

If anyone is wondering what R-Columbia headsets look like, I have a couple of wireless units. Mine must be from the 80's. They are quite interesting. Each headset has 2 antennas, one telescopic and another fixed with a loop on the top. Each earmuff has its own antenna, externally mounted crystal, and 9 volt battery. The earmuff with the telescopic antenna has a crystal labeled "T-A 8.3050" (I'm guessing transmit channel A). The other earmuff has a loop antenna with a crystal labeled "R-A 49.375". Each headset has a remote PTT button mounted in a little box that attaches to your belt. Totally old school cool...
hs1.JPG
hs2.JPG
hs3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back