Control/Dimming Has anyone used LxKey?

LukeD

I've recently come across LxKey for Eos (http://www.lxkey.co.uk) and I am thinking that it could be useful tool for shows with smaller budgets so I wouldn't have to hire a desk or for use with preprogramming and WYSIWYG work and I'm thinking about investing in one, but I haven't been able to find much about them other than their website. I wondered if anyone has got/used one and could share their experience of it? Even just some better pictures of it would be good so I can see the layout slightly clearer and maybe get a look at the back of it.

Also, I'm finding the ETC website a little confusing, am I right in thinking: The Puck is the dedicated laptop style device they make to run nomad, the key is a dongle that allows to use Nomad beyond as an offline editor and it requires a DMX interface of some kind, even if it's just a standard node like you would use with any other.

Do you still need the DMX interface/gateway if you are using LxKeys? Can anybody recommend a decent (quality and price) one that would work with the set up?

Does anyone think they have a better alternative (Without buying an Ion :p)?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks.

I haven't used LxKey, but it's a fancy keyboard. It doesn't output anything, it simply plugs into your device (console, Puck, or computer) and acts as a facepanel. Personally I wouldn't buy it with the programming wings just around the corner.

The Puck is the computer part of the console - the only output it has is ethernet (it outputs Net3/sACN/ACN/ArtNet). You need a device that speaks one of those protocols to get DMX, or the DMX Gadget (which uses USB). If you buy a Puck, you don't have to purchase a Nomad Key - it's built in.

Better alternative? Wait until the programming wings are released and then make a decision based on pricing.

They do look better, all there in one, no need for extra gateways and keys and such, plus they have encoder wheels - which LxKey is missing.

Has there been any word on when they'll be released or estimated price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back