High school plays - what shows are you doing and have you done?

How did you pull off Lysistrata in a high school? I've heard of colleges not liking the sexual content.

Our school's administration liked the message of "Peace" and the fact that it is a major classic. It also fits into the drama curriculum as it is an ideal example of a classic greek play.
Also as I had indicated it was an adaption. The Sexual content was made quite tasteful, save for a few rude jokes.

For example when the "old men" chorus attempted to break though the gates, they indeed used a giant phallus (not obvious) that indeed was to be a tree trunk. They had quite the hilarious blocking, in which they fumble in their attempts and at one point one of the old men is at one end of the "battering ram" and the others on the sides and in attempt not to fall over the other end is raised... At which point the phallic status is clear.
A very classic greek moment.

No actual sexual acts or nudity were indeed used. It actually advanced to the final "provincial showcase" of the SEARS Ontario Drama Festival!

Here is a Photo from the production. We Set it in the good-ol flapper days, without changing the script at all for such.
Lysistrata's Pledge.

Last edited:
I've been at my current school for three years (I'll be a senior this year! :rolleyes:)
Here's the rundown:
Cinderella Waltz
Once Upon a Mattress
Mariner
Gypsy
Eurydice
Grease
Romeo and Juliet
Gint
And this year...
Blood Brothers
The House of Bernarda Alba
Tartuffe
One Act yet to be determined (but destined to win the state contest :p)
Some others that I'm proud of from way back in the day:
The Visit
Rhinoceros
The Adding Machine

Since I've been in High School, we've done these shows:

Anything Goes
Rumors
Fiddler on the Roof
The Importance of Being Earnest
Annual Drama Showcase (Comedic One Acts)
42nd Street (I don't recommend this one...)
Anatomy of Gray
The Wiz
The Laramie Project
Drama Showcase Again

We will be doing (confirmed):

A Midsummer Night's Dream
Pippin the Musical

Last year (my senior year) we did:
Moon over Buffalo
Rent: School Edition
Chicago
Ah, Wilderness
The Miracle Worker
Bad Seed
The Heidi Chronicles
The Majestic Kid

Junior Year:
Kid-Simple
The Sound of Music
The Laramie Project
Boy Gets Girl
Twelfth Night
Miss Witherspoon

I can't find it in this thread, but either here or another forum someone recommended Done to Death. I ordered the script, and it's perfect for high school. Some minor language, but the humor carries it. It's a murder mystery that blatantly abuses the 4th wall.

I love the lists here, this is an awesome resource!

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about that show, that is a good one, the kids would have a lot of fun with it. Another one, that can be pushed to heavy audience interaction is Scapino, but it's pretty crude in parts.

We did Grease in 2008, did 'His Dark Materials' in summer of this year, and we're doing Annie for christmas.
Don't remember what we did in 2007/2006...

Some uber-flexible casting scripts I've done in the past include:
All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarden. based on the Fulghum book. It sounds sappy, but it's not.
Metamorphoses - Mary Zimmerman. Awesome. And you get to build a pool in your theatre.
The Laramie Project. Again, amazing. Really powerful.
Departures and Arrivals - Carol Shields (Canadian, if you're having trouble finding it)
Other than that, large cast scripts I've done include, 1949-David French (will appeal more to Canadian schools), Accidental Death of an Anarchist-Dario Fo, Good Woman of Setzuan - Brecht, Goodnight Desdemona, Good Morning Juliet-Anne Marie MacDonald (It's Canadian as well. Great script), Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead -Stopppard (I used 2 females as R and G, and it still works), Seven Stories-Morris Panych (Canadian), A Company of Wayward Saints (great use of Commedia in a contemporary context), Village of Idiots-Lazerus, and You Can't Take it With You-Kauffman and Hart.

Does it show that I'm more about straight dramas than musicals?

To be fair, the title is "plays", not "musicals"...

Plays are also rediculously easier to direct than musicals.

A few of the plays we have done here are:
Every Christmas Story Ever Told!
Danny, King of the Basement (we perform one show a year for the elementary crowd)
Our Town
12 Angry Jurors

We are currently doing:
The Trial of Ebenezer Scrooge
and
You're A Good Man Charlie Brown

Well for just straight plays I've done A Christmas Carol, Rumors, A Delightful Quarantine, The Crucible, and am starting You Could Die Laughing.

Welllll I'm a senior in high school and I only jumped on the lighting team last year.

We did Frankenstein (nobody but those of us with the script in our hands actually got it), and RENT (amazing).

This year we are doing The Outsiders and Beauty and the Beast.

Done to Death this year, we did Up the Down Staircase last year, along with many in previous years when I wasn't there. As for musicals, we've done Into the Woods, Fiorello, Annie, Grease, and many more.

Here comes a short but insightful list from most recently to farthest back:
Currently: Legend of Sleepy Hallow
Black Birds and Dragons
Everything I learned I learned in Kindergarten
Wizard of OZ
Greater Tuna
(Blank Spot in my Memory)
Happily Ever After
Flowers For Algernon
Jungle Book
Fiddler on the Roof

i have forgotten about half the shows I've participated in I am sure if i looked back into my playbill/poster box i could get the whole list but that is currently in the attic and i loaned my ladder to the theater.

Here are the shows that we did while I was in high school:

Eastern Standard
Cabaret
Taking Steps
The Cripple of Innishman
The Man Who Came to Dinner
George M!
Macbeth
Diary of Anne Frank
Lilies of the Field

(Sins of the Father, Sins of the Son)
Harvey
Father of the Bride
The Foreigner
Kiss Me Kate
An Inspector Calls
A Little Night Music
A Midsummer Night's Dream
A Doll's House
Ten Little Indians

Once on This Island
She Loves Me
Richard III
Mystery of Irma Vep
The Trip to Bountiful
Wait Until Dark
The Rimers of Eldritch
Moon Over Buffalo
Marvin's Room
Grease

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Musical Comedy Murders of the 1940's
Tender Offers
Lend Me a Tenor!
The Miracle Worker
Unexpected Guests
West Side Story
Crimes of the Heart

Yes, in four years of high school we did all those shows, and I worked on every one in some form or another. We did have two theatres in the building, and the Shakespeare was a joint production with the other HS in town every year.

I have done (in order, including non-highschool productions)

The Marriage of Anansewa
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Merry Wives of Windsor
Fiddler on the Roof
The Crucible
Pirates of Penzance
Godspell
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (recently made into an actual musical)
Dea by Dea (in production, we're doing the US premier of this show, some folks are coming from Europe to see it)

Did these shows before high school.
Annie Jr.
Through the looking glass

Did these shows in high school.
Les Miserable (found out it was possible to get buzzed off fog juice on this show)
Into the Woods
Evita!
Bye Bye Birdie(designed sets and SM for this one)

And Moderated the student stage crew and designed the sets for these.
Its a Wonderful Life
Oliver
Miracle on 34th street
The Man Who Came to Dinner

i definitely had the most fun on Les Mis and Bye Bye Birdie though

Actually i am now in College. And, the most recent play that i did was The Age of Innocence. s a novel by Edith Wharton, which won the 1921 Pulitzer prize. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Innocence#cite_note-0 The story is set in upper class New York City in the 1870s. I played the role of Countess Ellen Olenska. It was a challenging role for me because she is mostly where the story revolves. Try doing it. It was a really good master piece and perfect for a stage play. The story was good and brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back