High school plays - what shows are you doing and have you done?

Freshman year: Grease
(I was in a brand new school which was nice :)

Jr. year:
Are Winter play was A Christmas Carol and the Spring show was Beauty and the Beast.

We just did Neil simons rumors to a packed house (last year the house was empty for Shakespeare in Hollywood) Laramie project was also popular in our progressive district.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freshman year: Beauty and the Beast
Sophomore year: Sound of Music
Junior year: West Side Story
Senior year: Macbeth and Kiss Me, Kate

We're just starting work on Kiss Me, Kate when we get back from winter break. We'll see how it goes!

I didn't get involved in Theatre until my senior year, so the only shows I was involved in were "Way Out West In A Dress" (in the cast) (A musical. Was as good as it sounds...) and "Defying Gravity" by Jane Anderson. (LD) (Very good show. Based on the Challenger disaster. We did it as a competitive One-Act, so it had to be cut down to 45 minutes and transportable. I would love to do the full show one day.) Before I became involved, the school did High School Musical, Rumors, Little Shop of Horrors, and that's all I can think of. Since graduation, I have helped them with On The Night of January 16th, Ruthless, The Wiz, and Epic Proportions.

To add to my list on the first page,

Our production of City of Angels, one of the more serious plays we have done, gos in in less than two weeks.

And the Junior High is planning to put on Aladdin this year.

while I was in high school we did:

A Mid Summer’s Nights Dream
The Mouse That Roared - very funny
Twelfth Night
Anne Frank - intimate, 10-20 cast, possible double casting
The Madwoman of Chaillot
The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The Invalid - great show, small cast
Look Homeward Angel - intimate, strong message, medium cast
The Grapes Of Wrath
The Caucasian Chalk Circle - Brecht, good for our current time
The Yellow Jacket - out of print hints of the Chalk Circle but bazar

Other productions:

Under Milkwood
Burn This - Lanford Wilson

All the shows i have done are musicals, but you should look into doing Death of a Salesman.
The shows i have done include

West Side Story, God Spell, Grease, Anything goes, Music Man, Seusical, and currently Kiss me Kate.

I'm in a grade 7-9 school in Woodinville, WA (east of Seattle) and currently in 9th grade (Freshman) and have done It's a Wonderful Life (Lighting Design/Tech) and will be doing The Hobbit (Lighting Tech, in April) and The Nerd (Lighting Design/Tech, in June). I have also done shows in 7th and 8th grade and also was the light tech for The Wild and Woolly West at an area high school. In 8th grade, I was also a followspot operator in Fiddler on the Roof at Bothell High School.

I am a drama director for a local high school in Bethesda MD. I have advanced students, a strong music department and liberal administration. We just finished an amazing production of Amadeus. It's a challenging script for this age level but the students really took to it. They appreciated the challenge and rose to the occasion. We got "creative" and used live orchestration as well as student singers (3 arias) performed by students.

We've also produced The Odd Couple (male and female cast), The Nerd, The Miracle Worker and hired an author to give us an original and intellectual version of Dracula.

Our musicals have been:
West Side Story - always a favorite and a sell out
Funny Girl
Aida - my favorite thus far
Songs For A New World - we took it to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland
**** Yankees
Into the Woods

My students enjoy weighty material so I am interested in reading what others have done.

- Christopher Gerken

Last edited:
At the moment I'm helping with Leader of the Pack at a high school. It's really fun and a good play for high school students it seems.

my high school runs three shows a year and the ones that have gone over the best in recent years are
Footloose
Little Shop of Horrors
Musical Comedy Murders
How to Succeed at Buisness Without Really Trying
Once Upon a Mattress
Dracula

as a student and a techie I can say that the ones that are the most fun to do are the technically inducive ones, we flew a bat across the theater in dracula, but the ones with the best reception are more contemeporary. Our current director loves period pieces (we havent had anyone dress in modern costumes in the last two years) but the audience doesnt. Weve also had a club in the school present a student written one act play and it went over very well. The next show were doing is six degrees of seperation and it is shaping up to be quite good

At my high school we do one play, one musical, and a few one-acts per year. So far we have done:

Alice in Wonderland
Aida
Arabian Nights
Chess
You Can't Take It With You
The Wiz
As You Like It
Merrily We Roll Along

And for one acts we've done:

Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
The Bald Soprano

In no paticular order

Seusical
IMG_9691 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

"Snoopy" and "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" in tandem
IMG_6455 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Dames at Sea which we performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
IMG_4464 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Wedding Singer
IMG_3834 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Beauty & the Beast

and next year we're doing:
Ragtime
Tom Sawyer
I remember Mama (which were producing at a hotel in downtown San Francisco)
Aladdin.

In years past our school has put on
Fiddler on the Roof
City of Angels
By the Skin of our Teeth
Out of the Frying Pan
Peer Gynt
A raisin in the Sun

and dozens of one act plays written and directed by students in our small black box theater

Since being at my highschool, we've done Beauty and the Beast, Footloose, Clue, and Thoroughly Modern Millie.

Good selection.

Were doing Arsenic and Old Lace. I just got the script yesterday and after a few hours screwing around with Autocad Architecture i came up with this.

i know it doesnt look very original, just another house, but the director wants a real looking house. I haven't shown it to her yet and am open to suggestions and comments. i believe the show calls for about 14 characters....shes gonna try to use 35.

Attachments

• The Set-Model.pdf
    181.3 KB · Views: 30
Were doing Arsenic and Old Lace. I just got the script yesterday and after a few hours screwing around with Autocad Architecture i came up with this.

i know it doesnt look very original, just another house, but the director wants a real looking house. I haven't shown it to her yet and am open to suggestions and comments. i believe the show calls for about 14 characters....shes gonna try to use 35.

I have built Arsenic & Old Lace several times. It is a real crowd pleaser. The set is all about entrances and exits. Just focus on Teddy's room upstairs, the basement downstairs, a kitchen door, front door, a window that can be climbed in and out of, and of course, the window seat under the window, that is big enough to put a body into.

Have fun with it!

So focus on everything!:lol: im just starting to get tired of houses i guess. bye bye birdie, the man who came to dinner and now this (not consecutively). im happy to be doing the work but definitely in the mood for something minmalist, oh well, thanks for your input

Shows that i have had a part in in my high school in chronological order.
Leading Ladies
The Office Plays
Arsenic and Old Lace
Twelfth Night
Bye Bye Birdie
Eleemosynary
To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday
Macbeth
Little Shop Of Horrors
Bye Bye Birdie

Plays:
The French Have A Word For it
Peter Pan*
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Enchanted*
The Skin of our Teeth
Alice In Wonderland
Idiot's Delight
A Midsummer Night's Dream*

Musicals:
Anything Goes*
The Wizard of Oz
Once Upon A Mattress*
Guys And Dolls

* are the ones I didn't personally tech, but they had them during my high school career. However, I did help with set construction for all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back