High School stage lighting

texmark

Suggestions please on stage lighting for high school theatre stage : 45'w x 30' deep x 20' (fly rigging) . Catwalk FOH approx 20' from apron approx 30' high. This is a "remodel" project, lighting is from a clean slate. Adding DMX to existing 96 ETC dimmers. My thoughts... Cyc lights- qty (14) ...Strand PLCYC or ETC S4 LED w/CYC scoop? FOH- will (24) ETC Source 4 halogens work?-all 19's ? FOH / Side- (4) Source 4 LED ? Any thoughts on Fresnels or LED ? I'd like (8) LED wash mixed in. I must have 2 point for UIL One Act Play competitions. Any ideas?

I think we're going to need a bit more info.

Details such as trim height, cyc height/width, circuit layout, angle and distance of FOH catwalk(s) to stage are crucial for making these types of recommendations and decisions. We don't know if 19° Source Fours will work in not knowing how far your throw is - it might even need to be a mixture of various degrees. Any supplemental ellipsoidals being purchased? Surely you'll want to project gobos without cutting in to your repertory plot, and I doubt you'll want to be limited to one beam angle.

For cyc and LED lighting, the best thing to do is to ask for demos of the fixtures you're interested in [in your space]. Again, we can't truly know how many cyc lights you'll need without knowing the actual size of your cyc and its distance from the batten you're lighting it from. Get a bunch of demos - the Altman SpectraCYC is very nice and probably wouldn't take 14 units (which sounds like a lot to me).

I would always budget in Fresnels given the chance. The LEDs would be in addition to - not instead of.

Who is working on the space? It sounds like it would be in your best interest to call someone in who can take a look at the venue and recommend a system which will come in at budget and hopefully make everyone happy. Remember that there is more to it than lighting instruments - you will also need accessories such as cable, twofers, gobo holders, etc which can add up.

There is a lot of information we are missing:
Basic Questions
What is the scope of you remodel?
What is your budget?
What is your existing inventory (if any)?
What are your long term needs?
And what are the specs of your theatre space (as Les said, we can only speak in vague terms until we know what your space is like)

I don't think ETC ever made dimmers without DMX (of course someone should correct me if I am wrong!)

And to parrot @Les (again ;): It tends to be a good idea to pull in a consultant for this...

//Riley

I took "Adding DMX to existing 96 ETC dimmers" to mean that in addition to 96 dimmers, he would be running a line or two of DMX into the grid for intel fixtures.

That's how I took it as well. A similar upgrade is taking place at my local community theatre in August.

...And to think, just last month I was running hundreds of feet of DMX to an optosplitter and don't even ask me about running 120v non-dim all over the place.

That reminds me, OP, have them give you several circuits of non-dim per lighting position, and make sure it is switched so you can turn them off at the end of the night.

That reminds me, OP, have them give you several circuits of non-dim per lighting position, and make sure it is switched so you can turn them off at the end of the night.

Other option may be to swamp some of the existing ETC dimmer modules with "ThruPower" modules, which can be set to dim, non-dim relay, and constant power (non-relay). Unless more power is needed somewhere, this saves from running new conduit.

Suggestions please on stage lighting for high school theatre stage : 45'w x 30' deep x 20' (fly rigging) . Catwalk FOH approx 20' from apron approx 30' high. This is a "remodel" project, lighting is from a clean slate. Adding DMX to existing 96 ETC dimmers. My thoughts... Cyc lights- qty (14) ...Strand PLCYC or ETC S4 LED w/CYC scoop? FOH- will (24) ETC Source 4 halogens work?-all 19's ? FOH / Side- (4) Source 4 LED ? Any thoughts on Fresnels or LED ? I'd like (8) LED wash mixed in. I must have 2 point for UIL One Act Play competitions. Any ideas?
Thanks for the reply. I have 15 Source 4 tungsten still in good shape- plan to add 20 new plus 6-8 LED ellips to catwalk. My "consultant" is ETC rep, which also reads "salesman". Our proscenium opening is 48', stage extends 15' from there to apron. From apron it is 20' to catwalk which is actually 30' high above stage floor. What about using Source 4 w/ adjustable focus? I have 3 electric battens, first one is 8' upstage from proscenium open, which works for front light of mid stage talent. Anyone use ellipsoidals that close? I want to add LED wash, thinking ETC Colorsource Par...any ideas cheaper but still quality?

ETC rep. out in Texas or theatrical supply such as Texas Scenic? None the less, any sales person/consultant will no doubt have a lot of experience under the belt and should at least be initially trusted. Didn't hear anything about Fresnels as still useful. (This is a "remodel" project, lighting is from a clean slate.) Why? Some lights at least are seemingly kept by later reply.

Strand PLCYC or ETC S4 LED w/CYC scoop? sounds fascinating. I could certainly see energy efficiency savings in replacing them with LED. Still though... clean slate, should save at least four scoops for potential photo flash lamp lightning strikes. Save lots of the old for future needs or oops, wish we had not gotten rid of that or "My Kingdom for another Leko" purposes.

Thanks for the reply. I have 15 Source 4 tungsten still in good shape- plan to add 20 new plus 6-8 LED ellips to catwalk. My "consultant" is ETC rep, which also reads "salesman". Our proscenium opening is 48', stage extends 15' from there to apron. From apron it is 20' to catwalk which is actually 30' high above stage floor. What about using Source 4 w/ adjustable focus? I have 3 electric battens, first one is 8' upstage from proscenium open, which works for front light of mid stage talent. Anyone use ellipsoidals that close? I want to add LED wash, thinking ETC Colorsource Par...any ideas cheaper but still quality?
I'd use about 6 - 42" vivid R for the cyc.

I've become less enamored of the Selador line for cycs. Getting the pipes in just the right place is critical so it's hard to do multiple drops. And any issues with the drop become very noticeable. I've used Altman units but have not had the chance to really work with the Strand & ETC due to budgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back