High school stage managers? a quick question....

Hairkid

Do you make your crew take off ear rings durring a show? or tape over their socks if they aren't black?

We have spar black socks that they can use if they do not bring any. They do not want to use them so they usually bring their own. We also threaten to spray paint their shoes if they do not bring black ones. No jewelry is allowed. When they join crew we hand out a sheet with expectations that they must follow. We have a line up to join crew though. If they do not meet the requirements there is someone to replace them.

Earrings are usually a non-issue unless they're pretty large or hang down. Bracelets, long necklaces, and such are usually frowned up for the running crew as they could get snagged or caught on something.

Brightly-colored socks tend to be non-issue for our crews, but we've taken black gaff to shoes, logos on black hats, and logos on black t-shirts.

Audio/Light Ops can do what they want. We have a few different schools come into our facility and each group has their own policies on dress that they run with. If the audio/lights ops don't wear black, they're usually told to wear something nice.

You should always have a reserve of spare black shirts, black sweats that do NOT make noise, and black socks. Gaff shoes if needed, I try to text techs before the show to remind them to wear black stuff.

Also, rather than tape over or cover logos, Mike, you should have them turn their shirt inside out, and then tape over the tag. Saves tape and looks less odd. Black leather jackets are also bad because they reflect tons of light, especially when the change is during a blue out (which I hate, by the way)

Booth operators don't have as much of a dress code here, but I do recommend that they wear black or something dark colored to differentiate from audience members.

You should always have a reserve of spare black shirts, black sweats that do NOT make noise, and black socks. Gaff shoes if needed, I try to text techs before the show to remind them to wear black stuff.

Also, rather than tape over or cover logos, Mike, you should have them turn their shirt inside out, and then tape over the tag. Saves tape and looks less odd. Black leather jackets are also bad because they reflect tons of light, especially when the change is during a blue out (which I hate, by the way)

Booth operators don't have as much of a dress code here, but I do recommend that they wear black or something dark colored to differentiate from audience members.

I mainly work in the booth on lighting and my personal dress code unless asked is a black polo or long sleeve shirt with no logo if possible, a nice pair of jeans, and black dress shoes if I feel like it.

Bonus for my black long sleeve shirt is polyester and the color hasn't faded like how cotton would.

Thanks. Just a question. My crew is more of a free flowing crew. In my opinion, taping socks for a school concert is a little over the top. If it's a major production, black socks are needed. I also feel that ear rings, like studs, aren't an issue. unless you have big jingly things dangling from your lobes. My SM is making some of the techies tape their ears. I feel this is a bit strict.

At my school, we don't usually require any specific dress code. Of course, our school has 400 kids 9-12, and the crew is usually only 3-5 people, and I'm usually doing the jobs of 3 or 4, including Tech director, lighting designer, sound engineer, stage manager, etc. Our group is good enough though that they take care of themselves. I usually suggest all black, but if they don't wear, it's not going to be a problem. The only times we do have a dress code, is for band, we have to wear all black (no additional crew is there so no crew dress code), and for choir they have tuxes and dresses that the school owns (also no crew).

my high school has about 2000+ student and faculty. i feel like the more people there are, the more rules there are.

When I was the TD at a Highschool, I had one or two students tape their socks. I also taped my own socks one night when I forgot to wear black. Always good to show you aren't above the rules. Earrings, never had an issue in a educational or professional setting.

When I was teaching HS, the crew was required to wear black, unless the deck crew had costumes, which we sometimes did. If they didn't wear black, they had to listen to some of my stories about shows when I didn't wear black. Also, we had crew shirts, some of which were black on black. But mainly, the students policed themselves (I tried to make them do as much of the work as possible), so it was never really a problem.

That's a bit more then strict... That's going WAY to far in my opinion.

I agree - taping ears up is utterly ridiculous. I can understand and have often enforced the "no dangly earrings" rule, but if they're just studs or sleepers (those small hoops) then it isn't an issue. I couldn't tell you how many shows I've done wearing sleepers and I have never had a single problem. They are too small to reflect any light, and unless you do something REALLY stupid you'll never catch them on anything.

Our crew is so small we take who we can get and we don't have a budget for even one roll of gaff tape. It normally works out that we tell everybody to wear black and if they are not we try to keep them off stage. And again the people at front of house do what they want which is normally dark or black cloth's and/or nice cloth's

Dare I ask how you do this? If you've rehearsed a scene change with people doing specific jobs doesn't keeping them off the stage throw everything off?

We can normally tell early in the week and being such a small crew we get practice covering for each other.

We don't tend to have any problems with Jewellery as it is not permitted at our school.

All crew are encouraged to wear black volleys, and we require black shoes, socks, and trousers, no crew permitted on stage unless they do.

We issues black shirts with "CREW" in red, which is really helpful as it turns almost black under blue light.

Do you make your crew take off ear rings durring a show? or tape over their socks if they aren't black?

Tape?! Heck no. If our producer catches anyone wearing non-black socks, he's been known to take a black sharpie to them, just to make the point.

Needless to say, after one or two people with sharpie-black socks, people tended to not forget.

I've made people turn their shirts inside out before, and taped the tag, but I agree with LXPlot, that it's a waste of tape.

As for the booth, we usually have them all wear black converse or dress shoes, black dress pants, and a black button down shirt with a black tie.

Most of the spot ops use a clip on tie, so that they can get rid of it while actually operating the spot.

My crew wears black pants and a black polo with our logo in red. They all wear some type of black boot pretty much every day, so socks haven't been a problem. I have been known to spray paint ankles on actors who forget black socks (that's what they've been told anyway... ;) )

As for taping earings, I disagree with this being overkill. At my job we've HAVE to tape earings if they're dangling (albeit this job is something else entirely), and danglers can do a lot of damage really quickly. Stew, I'd like to say that I hate converse. They are needlessly noisy, provide no support, and the white bottoms light up more than a gas truck in a firestorm. Even so, maybe that's just me.

As for taping earings, I disagree with this being overkill. At my job we've HAVE to tape earings if they're dangling (albeit this job is something else entirely), and danglers can do a lot of damage really quickly.

Danglers are one thing, but studs or sleeper rings really don't need taping. I just don't wear dangly earrings to work - simplest solution!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back