Microphones How do you disassemble AKG 450/470 Handheld Transmitter?

AudJ

Had the slider jump off the switch on this mic, and wanted to take it apart to set it back in place, but bent the wrench trying to spin out the retaining collar - it is really on there. I could not locate any set screws or anything else that could be locking it in place. Any tips how to safely remove? Here is a shot from the service manual.
proxy.php

According to these parts you can buy on FullCompass: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/268547-AKG-2931M10010 ... it looks like the handle splits apart at the heel, with barbs along the side of the body.

Let me know if that helps ... I have four HT450s but have never had the pleasure of having to take them apart yet ;)

Thanks. John

Yes, according to the service manual, that assembly is supposed to slide out after removing the element. It is held in place by the collar, which is apparently stuck on mine.

It looks like it hinges out from the front collar, not slide out. There are two catch tabs up near the collar area. Will the body butterfly open from the heel?

It looks like it hinges out from the front collar, not slide out. There are two catch tabs up near the collar area. Will the body butterfly open from the heel?
By "it" are you referring to the switch or the whole internal assembly?

Alas, the body is all one piece either molded or welded plastic, with no seams, so it will not open. Maybe there are different versions of this mic? Had a pro tech working on it with me, and he thought the same thing, and together, we couldn't get past removing the element. On ours, if there was a split, it definitely would have come apart when we were struggling with the tool that bent. We did remove the 2 faceplates, which revealed nothing but a hole for IR input. The tech said we should send it to AKG, which is where I am headed if there isn't a secret password or something that shows up here on CB. Just seems silly to put a working mic out of commission for a few weeks if it is as simple as the slider.:)

If nothing else, this event has made me gain confidence in the durability of the plastics in this product.

Yes it does seem brain-dead simple ... collar #3 should unscrew out of the housing 12.1, then the housing should slip off the chassis. I wonder if they put a drop of glue in there to prevent the body from unscrewing whenever you remove the windscreen.

I suggest you call AKG tech. I've spoken to them before on the phone (sent in my SR450 for repair) and I've found them pretty helpful. Someone there might be able to tell you if there is a trick to getting these things off. They may even be willing to send you a new body if you are going to end up ripping it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back