How Would You Do It

Davetp

I just recently finished a run of
Arsenic And old Lace
this show has a window seat which gets opened by actors on stage multiple times to place "dead" bodies in and to see the "bodies"

The Seat had to have a squeak when it opened as it was meant to be in a old house.
i had to play an SFX when the actor opened the seat. this was very impractical as the actors opend it at varying speeds during the show.
the sound was allways out as it is hard to get a clear visual cue.

if i had more time on the show i would set up a trigger switch in the seat to play and stop the squeek at the right time

My Question to you is
How Would You Do It

A squeaky toy. Rig a lever to compress the toy when opened. You would have to look for a good toy sound, but it's where I would start.

I would try for the real thing but if you got anything to make close to an acceptable sound, just put a mic on it. Instant synchronization.

Play with blocks of wood and maybe add some rosin?

Did this show last fall & the sound person rigged a guitar string over a picture frame hanger (the one with the little "teeth" in it).
String was attached to the lid of the box & weighed down a bit on the free end so that it rubbed across the bit of metal when the lid moved. Added a bit of luan for a resonant "sound board" behind it and a microphone nearby to help amplify it.

The "bodies" just needed to make sure they didn't kick the microphone when they crawled out backstage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back