IATSE Local One Apprenticeship Test

Re: IATSE Test Results

I figured that. Too bad. I should have never left NBC. lol. I figured I wouldnt miss it but now I do..

Anyway, thanks for the lightning fast response. Looks like a fun community.

I figured that. Too bad. I should have never left NBC. lol. I figured I wouldnt miss it but now I do..

Anyway, thanks for the lightning fast response. Looks like a fun community.

Please don't tell me you had a steady gig under local one juristiction and gave it up voluntarily ?. If you work 3 consecutive years at $35,000 per year, you can get voted in and you get your card.

I was a day hire for about 2 years at NBC and I left for a better paying job. That was about 10 years ago.

I actually started to miss it recently. It was a great gig and a great group to work with.

Sent from the other side!

I know this is an old thread but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. Does anyone know when the next IATSE Local 1 exam is?
Thanks

Traditionally they've offered the test once every 3 years, roughly in late summer or early fall. Which means the next one would presumably be around September 2015. However, in talking to people in the office, the backlog of people awaiting apprentice placement is pretty significant, and so it's very likely they could wait an extra year to offer the test again. To give some perspective, a few people from the 2009 test are still being placed, and keep in mind that the slots those people fill won't become vacant for a MINIMUM of two years from when they start, and possibly up to three.

With the shops vacating the city for Jersey and upstate -- out of Local 1 jurisdiction, a good majority of the apprenticeships are drying up. Though from what I've heard Local 1 is eying expansion trying to bring the shops back into their territory, and hopefully opening up more apprenticeship positions.

With the shops vacating the city for Jersey and upstate -- out of Local 1 jurisdiction, a good majority of the apprenticeships are drying up. Though from what I've heard Local 1 is eying expansion trying to bring the shops back into their territory, and hopefully opening up more apprenticeship positions.

It will be a cold day in hell before they even try to reach into Secaucus. PRG, 4 Wall, BML, Masque, etc will pull it and everyone else will follow. If they want to go after anything, they should go after Barclays. The fact that they did not pick up that place is really messed up, someone at the head office was not doing their job right.

It will be a cold day in hell before they even try to reach into Secaucus. PRG, 4 Wall, BML, Masque, etc will pull it and everyone else will follow. If they want to go after anything, they should go after Barclays. The fact that they did not pick up that place is really messed up, someone at the head office was not doing their job right.

Masque and 4Wall are Local 632.

I cannot recall which local picked up PRG, but AFAIK they are IATSE and became so to get the Broadway work. [EDIT: Local 59]

Schaarf-Weisberg is also Local 59

Barclays is in Brooklyn and is happily in Local 4.

Last edited:

Masque and 4Wall are Local 632.

I cannot recall which local picked up PRG, but AFAIK they are IATSE and became so to get the Broadway work. [EDIT: Local 59]

Schaarf-Weisberg is also Local 59

Barclays is in Brooklyn and is happily in Local 4.

Yup, knew that. Point was though that they are not local one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Updating this post from years ago. I finally got the call from Local One a few weeks ago, and I just started working as an Apprentice at the Met. I had cored halfway down the list of accepted candidates, and it still took them well over two years to place me, so needless to say it's a very slow process - and when I was last at the hall, it sounds like the next Apprentice test won't be for a few more years as a result. I'm just starting there, but so far it seems great.

I don't want to go into too much detail on a public forum, but if anyone would like more information on the Apprentice program or Local One or whatever, feel free to shoot me a PM.

That's great news and a wonderful site to do your apprentice.

If in the electric shop, say hi to Tony Giovanetti. As well another old friend is floating around - Ken Arditto. I once trained Ken to run a carbon arc Super Trouper. Head shot, in light blue, 3/4 dowse, now follow the guy moving around the stage ! He's still there , many decades later, Hopefully as you will be as well.

Hey all, i'm interested in being a stagehand and I need some help. Does anyone know when the next local 1 test will be? And, what do you need to study to pass the test? I have no stagehand experience, but it sounds like something I would love. Any help appreciated. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back