These Ads will no longer appear once you have logged into ControlBooth.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Modification: Double-Ended Halogen Fresnel

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Nelson, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nelson

Nelson Member

This is what happens when you let your fresnels and cyc lights play together:
    http://monsterpawn.com/ebaynormal/10/10-31-6.jpg

Just thought you might like to see that interesting home-brew modification!
  2. gafftapegreenia

gafftapegreenia CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Ugh, thats just sloppy.

Now, there are manufactured varieties of this from Kliegl, Altman and Century. (I know because a few were still hanging around in the shop at college). There are also ellipsoidal varieties as well. These all date from the most early days of halogen-incandescent lamps.

Not sure who ever even allowed them into manufacture, as a linear lamp in a reflector designed for a point source sucks. I guess they just wanted to print "halogen" on their advertisements and give a **** all to performance.
  3. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Love the wire-nuts!
  4. xander

xander Active Member

Programmer, Production Electrician
    I'm curious as to the point of this. What desired result spawned this? I personally cannot think of anything that this would accomplish that the fresnel couldn't just do on it's own.
  5. Pie4Weebl

Pie4Weebl Well-Known Member Premium Member

"HRRRMMM BILLY BOB, THEY DONT HAVE THESE "BTL" BULBS DOWN AT THE HARDWARE STORE, WHAT CAN WE DO?"
  6. rsmentele

rsmentele Member

But its UL listed!
  7. zmb

zmb Well-Known Member

Must have an interesting splosh of light with three linear lamps inside a rectanuglar reflector that then go through the fresnel lens. Soft edge, rounded rectangle?
  8. Les

Les Well-Known Member Premium Member

Haha, was UL Listed.
  9. avkid

avkid Not a New User

Stagehand/ ME
    If they used listed components it may still be. (minus the cordset)
  10. Arez

Arez The Royal Renaissance Man Premium Member

Well, that's just disgusting.

I like Derek's repurposing better.
  11. Nelson

Nelson Member

That's my guess as well. Or possibly the reflector or socket was damaged, so they retrofitted it with what they had on hand. Also possible that they wanted more light from the fixture, so they figured that three lamps would be brighter than one.

This is an item I found for sale on eBay. The price isn't bad for an Altman 75, if it was in original condition. I was thinking about buying it until I saw the insides! It isn't worth it if I have to buy a new reflector and socket.
  12. Les

Les Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think it would then take the designation of "assembled from UL Listed components". Whether or not these components play well together... ehhh. Actually, aside from probably getting INSANELY HOT, I doubt there's much about it in the way of being unsafe (aside from the wire nuts). Janky, yes.

It looks like someone probably found an old 75Q shell and wanted to convert it in to a location fixture or something. At least, I hope they didn't destroy a good fresnel for this.

Yeah, you can find whole 75Q's on eBay for way cheaper than it would take to repair this one. Seems like I was shopping around on Production Advantage for fresnel socket/reflector assemblies and it was something like $65 for the 65Q and $110 for the 75Q.