Interpretation for the Deaf

since most colleges offer ASL classes, couldnt you get one or two of the professors to sign rather than hiring outside people. I think esp, if you give them a copy of the script or let them sit in rehearsals just incase there is a word they do not know.

since most colleges offer ASL classes, couldnt you get one or two of the professors to sign rather than hiring outside people. I think esp, if you give them a copy of the script or let them sit in rehearsals just incase there is a word they do not know.

The fact that we manage to get volunteer ushers is amazing to me. The ASL translators that we get are hired through the University, and for the amount of work that they do just to translate one performance, they deserve to be compensated.

An idea is that you could use a system called I-caption. It is a hand-held device in which the script of the dialogue appears in powerpoint slides during a live show. Broadway uses these sometimes for their shows. Check out the website for more info:

Sound Associates, Inc. - I-Caption

However, I'm not entirely sure what the price would be like for that system...it might be cheaper than hiring interpreters, I don't know. But as a deaf person myself, I wouldn't highly recommend it. The problem with I-Caption is that it can be a burden on our arms for holding it up for the entire two hour show without setting it down (nobody wants to exercise during a show).

There are, of course, several different methods of accessibility for deaf patrons. Gallaudet, as you already know, uses open captioning for our *ahem* signing-impaired audiences. As for RWC...I have never heard of using that for theatre and I would not recommend it.

In reply to HCP1 about shadow interpreting, I myself had seen a couple of shows with shadow interpreters and I loved it. But it is complicated and costly to have shadow interpreting on stage but if you live in a large deaf community, I would use it.

I do support the previous posts about publications of "interpreted shows" to the deaf community. It will be better than having interpreters on stand-by or having them interpret every night. To me, it is the best approach to this issue.

Hope this post helps.

Anyway, they have a really cool subtitle system. In the back of the theater, above the projection booth is an LED reader board that scrolls the text of the subtitles in backwards letters. A deaf person is given a mirror on a gooseneck, with a base that snaps into the cup holder. You sit down, install your mirror on your seat, put it in a comfortable position and angle it to reflect the subtitles at you.

For what it is worth...this is what they do for many of the shows at Walt Disney World as well. I noticed this the last time I was in Florida.

For what it is worth...this is what they do for many of the shows at Walt Disney World as well. I noticed this the last time I was in Florida.

Yeah, a few of the local movie theatres have this too.

I think's it's becoming pretty commonplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back