Into the Woods...in the woods

Plupo

Hey guys!

A few weeks ago I was approached by a friend and director to do lighting/electrics for his production of Into the Woods. The only catch was - it'd be in the woods. There is a "nature sanctuary"/conservation center in my area that focuses on preserving the different kind of ecosystems that exist in Florida. So to bring attention to the sanctuary and, as he put it, "highlight the beauty of Florida's wildlife through promotion of eco-tourism," he's producing the Sondheim classic.
The show will be staged in the venue's tiny outdoor "amphitheater" - I use the term amphitheater loosely, as can be seen in attached photos. The benches are going to be moved and a stage extension will be built down the middle to give it an "alley" feel.
I have a $1,000 budget -_-

I'm still in the initial phases of design and am already planning on renting (or, hopefully, borrowing) some LED PARs, and purchasing some 12' trees to safely mount them on - for FOH light. As far as power goes - I have (1x) 20 amp breaker feeding two receptacles outdoors. Once those are used up, I will need to run extension cords to outlets on the outside and inside of the visitor center (~75' - 100' away).

So, at this point, I'm just looking for any ideas that may come to you guys' minds - whether they're show related or just venue related.

P:L

Enchanted Forest.png IMAG0927.jpg IMAG0928.jpg

Last edited:
I would reccomend a 100' socapex to run 6 circuits from the visitor center to the stage area and then break out from there. Nice clean run that way.

Also, LEDs will be your best friend here. Is this a one-night event? renting a console will run you minimum $250-300.

I actually used to live in Florida and ran Lighting/AV and SFX for a large theatre in Downtown. PM me, maybe could set you up with my successor and he could help out with the rental. '

-B

While it won't be quiet unless you spend real money, you could also look at getting a generator or battery supply for power needs. You'd have to calculate the load pretty tightly to get the best bang for the buck, but it's becoming more and more possible with LEDs. If your friend is looking at producing more than one show at the venue, it would be worthwhile looking at. It'd also give a little protection in case of power failure or a breaker tripping at the visitor center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back