Control/Dimming Ion Showfile: Backwards Compatible?

Flyboy

The regular console in my venue (Expression 3) recently crashed, and I have an old Ion on loaner from one of the local schools. The problem is that it's still using software version 1.7. I'm working with them to allow me to update it, but at the moment, I have not been given the go-ahead.

I have a touring show stopping by in a couple of days (with no desk), and their show was programmed on modern Ion software (not sure which version exactly, but I assume at least v2.0). I know that I can swap a patch back and forth, but can I load a whole showfile onto a v1.7 desk? I'll figure it out one way or another in a couple of days, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this. If I don't hear back, I'll be sure to post my results

Thanks,

I think ETC's answer is it'll work OK.

If it were me, I'd be searching the ETC site for 1.7 legacy OS, download it as well as the most recent, update the desk, then put it back to 1.7 after.

If the 2.0 show file uses features that aren't available in 1.7 then they may not work properly. Pixel maps and magic sheets, for instance.

For a simple show, no ML's etc... I'd be merging the patch and cues only, maybe subs and effects if needed. Try to minimize conflicts with all the stuff that's changed as sk8rsdad mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back