ION windows upgrade

You must get a quote from a local rep/dealer to begin the process. Full Compass in Madison can assist you if need be. Once the quote process is complete you will ship the console to ETC to have the upgrade performed.

Why bother? I assume a lighting console uses the imbedded/industrial version of XP. That's a completely different animal than what you use on your laptop. It is stripped down and has none of the issues, such as security vulnerabilities, that a more complex OS has. If it is reliable and stable I can't think of a good reason to meddle with it. The only difference in how the console works should be what the splash screen looks during boot up.

If the only difference were the splash screen then it would not be worth it.

However, this upgrade/refurbishment to Windows 7 does a few useful things. It enables the use of high resolution (and lower cost) multi-touch monitors, changes the hard drive to SSD for faster boot times, and swaps the motherboard for a newer/faster one with dual NICs and something a little quicker than USB 1.1. Warranty coverage is restored too. Granted, none of that might matter for many people.

The downside is older USB 1.1. fader wings need to be connected differently.

Why bother? I assume a lighting console uses the imbedded/industrial version of XP. That's a completely different animal than what you use on your laptop. It is stripped down and has none of the issues, such as security vulnerabilities, that a more complex OS has. If it is reliable and stable I can't think of a good reason to meddle with it. The only difference in how the console works should be what the splash screen looks during boot up.

There are advantages, such as being able to use any Windows 7 compliant touch screen instead of just the Elo screens, or the fact that the upgrade includes changing the console from a hard drive to a solid state drive. ETC's doing a bit more than just applying a new system image to the HDD when you send it in.

Also, you may (depending on your current config) be able to add additional channel output capabilities.

Maybe nothing. Maybe it can no longer be docked.

If it's at the factory then the nice folks at ETC ought to be able to tell you what it means for you.

It's all spelled out in the first link I posted.
ETC said:
Things to know

If you have an older fader wing (without an orange USB connector on the back), your fader wing setup may change. Specifically, you would need to follow the connection guidelines for a USB 2.0 console listed in the Fader Wing Setup guide. The fader wing cannot be docked directly, and instead would need to be run with a separate USB cable to the console or pass through a USB 1.1 hub.

Fader wings with orange USB connectors (USB 2.0 compatible) can continue to be used as-is.

So, this is a year old now.

Who has *had* the W7 upgrade performed on their Ion?

How did it go?

Has it been reliable? Any noticeable changes?

So, this is a year old now.

Who has *had* the W7 upgrade performed on their Ion?

How did it go?

Has it been reliable? Any noticeable changes?

One of our Ion's was eligible and was upgraded. Work was done by an authorized repair centre in the Toronto area. Workmanship was excellent, but the console got lost in shipping for a couple of weeks on the outbound trip. There have been no issues. Boot times are much shorter. Having almost twice the screen real estate with modern multitouch screens is awesome.

So why all the worry?

What, me worry? :)

It's not my board, and I'm deciding whether to advocate.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Watching one of the ETC training sessions and they just said that the Ion/Element windows upgrade program will be ending at the end of 2020. So think about doing it now.

Information here.

Though if it's actually $2300 we may not be able to -- can't make our CIF budget happen early enough, and too big for P-card.

Love state schools...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back