Is it OK to post....

Very nice! Those are some great pics!

Looks great. Nice work Bill.

I've tried to check it out twice now, once after the initial post and just a moment ago, both times it wouldn't load. and isitup.org says its down. Bad timing on my part? Figured it was worth mentioning.

You might want to look into improving the layout for Internet Explorer (I'm looking at it in IE 9 on Windows 7). While I wouldn't recommend IE as a browser, it is very commonly the only browser availible to workers in large organizations which probably includes a significant portion of your prospective clients. Particular issues I've noticed: 1) on the team page, the second heading crowds the end of the text in the first section 2) on the pages listing portfolio projects, sometimes the project description crosses the horizontal line separating the projects. I'd ask the web design team to target IE users on Windows 7 (if you want to be really conservative you might even target the last IE version availible on Win XP - forget Vista, pretty much every IT department avoided it).

"Auditoria". Nice. :)

You might want to change the Page Title on your homepage from "Home". Any interior pages where that got missed, too.

Another suggestion: Content is King; your traffic will come largely from search engines, and they need something to index. Your article collection would likely be that collection of content, but I don't know if Google is smart enough to index what the articles are wrapped in. If they are PDFs and contain actual text, then probably so. If not, you may -- rights permitting -- want to do something to make the text -- preferably the full text - visible to Google, et alia.

On the mechanical front, your "invalid email address" catcher is way too strict; trailing spaces trigger it even though the user can't see them, and they can be trivially trimmed off, but more importantly (to me :), the regular expression which it matches against is not fully RFC-5322 compliant, to wit: it does not accept "plus-hacked" email addresses, such as:

[email protected]

The plus sign is a valid character, but triggers as invalid in your form's test; many people use this syntax -- which generally delivers through the mail system to the my.name mailbox, but preserves whatever +possiblespammer is -- to flag incoming mail so that you can see if people are leaking your address, and also to pre-flag mail for automatic foldering (I use it on mailing lists, some of which also get it wrong).

It's a minor point, but getting it wrong penalizes the smart people, which always bothers me.

Last edited:
Another suggestion: Content is King; your traffic will come largely from search engines, and they need something to index. Your article collection would likely be that collection of content, but I don't know if Google is smart enough to index what the articles are wrapped in. If they are PDFs and contain actual text, then probably so. If not, you may -- rights permitting -- want to do something to make the text -- preferably the full text - visible to Google, et alia.
The text is selectable as text in my PDF viewer, so I bet Google is smart enough to index it.

It appeared to me to be the return from a CGI, rather than a link; it was that I was more concerned about, & I should have said so, but my blood caffeine level has not risen out of the red for the morning yet.

It appeared to me to be the return from a CGI, rather than a link; it was that I was more concerned about, & I should have said so, but my blood caffeine level has not risen out of the red for the morning yet.
I see, those seem to be hosted by a service on an different domain. At least the bcaworld.com logo at the bottom of the BCA documents is hyperlinked back to the site.

I've tried to check it out twice now, once after the initial post and just a moment ago, both times it wouldn't load. and isitup.org says its down. Bad timing on my part? Figured it was worth mentioning.

I've gone there three times now on different days. All three times I get a message that the site is down for less than a second, and then it does load. Weird.

I've gone there three times now on different days. All three times I get a message that the site is down for less than a second, and then it does load. Weird.
Mine may be something with the school network I'm on.
Took a second but it did finally load on my iPad.

It has loaded pretty fast for me, and I'm remote from where it is. It was not quite there when I posted - something about DNS servers of which I know nothing.

All comments sent to webmaster. Thanks again.

I usually get something similar to what happens to josh88. The first time I go there, I get a screen that says the connection was reset along with a try again button. When I hit the try again button it loads. This has happened a few times, so something is definitely unusual.

OK. Site is actually at bcaworld.net and .com (and .info and .org) all redirect. I'll work on having it moved. (As it seems only logical the redirect is causing the "reload" issue)

Very nice........the visuals really grab you and the site navigates nicely................good job.

It has loaded pretty fast for me, and I'm remote from where it is. It was not quite there when I posted - something about DNS servers of which I know nothing.

All comments sent to webmaster. Thanks again.

DNS (domain name system) translates domain names to addresses. Most people look up addresses on a DNS server provided by their ISP (all automatically configured when you connect). As all DNS servers cache results for performance reasons it can take a day or two for changes to propagate to all servers.

You should never have a site answer authoritatively for more than one domain; it hoses up bookmarks. Pick one and do the others as redirects (if you must have them at all; that's a bad idea for different reasons). If you got .com, that should be your primary address.

You should never have a site answer authoritatively for more than one domain; it hoses up bookmarks. Pick one and do the others as redirects (if you must have them at all; that's a bad idea for different reasons). If you got .com, that should be your primary address.
Thank you. Unfortunately I don't know what some of those terms mean. I bought the .info et all domains to stop someone else from using them, and we "built" the new site on .net as a simple way to collaborate and have a few friends (is: our wives) vet it, on different platforms in particular. Now, all domains redirect to .net and we are trying to move it to .com and have all others redirect to .com.

Personally I don't have a clue where it is or how any of that works, and it may be done by now for all I know.

But sincerely, thank you.

To Jay's content is king comment, I think the text in papers and articles is easily found by search engines.

I agree with you too, and the "ideas" page is it. We thought about a blog on projects but I'm sure I'd offend some clients - well, maybe all. Its hard when you've had a hand in designing a hundred or so theaters, seen thousands, and not done much else for over thirty years but talk and sleep theatre design - and someone with no or limited experience thinks they know more.

Anyway, any ideas you have about what content about theatre planning and design the world is looking for would be appreciated. (Scenery and building codes, something about some recent code changes for aisles, and a reprise of auditoriums and stages and ADA are all high on my list.)

Again, my sincere gratitude for the constructive criticism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back