Kliegl Brothers Striplight

carsonld

I am looking at purchasing some used Kliegl Brothers Striplights. I have never heard of this company and these do not look like "normal" striplights. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this brand and this certain light. I have attached the photos from the listing and the description. All that I know is that the company went bankrupt in 1996 which makes me second guess this purchase. I would hopefully use the on our cyclorama but cant seem to find a gel slot for them. the model number is 3476 Thank you so much!

Description:
This listing is for a package of 6 Kliegl Brothers Striplights. They are lamped at 500 Watts per cell. Each unit has 9 cells at 3 circuits each (3 cells/circuit) Each strip includes trunions, lamps for all cells, spare lamps, and modified frames. They have stage pin connectors. These units are old but in working condition. The pigtails have been previously rewired and power pass-through removed.
ncm_f53a7760eb8d99.jpg
ncm_f53a7760651d10.jpg

On a off note, what color of green do you use for you RGB system? the one we got is too dark and saturated.

Kliegl was a longtime once highly respected lighting equipment innovator and manufacturer in the US. Arguably, they had the kind of market share in the 1960s and early 1970s that ETC enjoys today. Their demise is a kind of a long and sad story.

I don't have any information about that particular strip light in my personal Kliegl archive. You might try digging around on http://www.klieglbros.com and seeing if you can find anything. If I had to guess, I would put those strip lights between early 1970s and late 1980s but that is a TOTAL "WAG".

My personal favorite green for an RGB system is Rosco 90 (Dark Yellow green).
I find 91 too dark for most applications.
I also like Rosco 2004 (Storano Green) which tends to drift a bit toward the warm end of things when dimmed.

You are a prime candidate for the purchase of Photometrics Handbook by Robert Mumm.
Info on most of the stage lighting fixtures ever produced (except those after 1997 publication date).
Over a page and a half of listings/descriptions/model numbers for Kliegl strip/cyc lights, unfortunately no pictures of these. Great resource.

Good Morning
I don’t know these fixtures first hand but I can see the lamp & lamp sockets are pretty
Standard items.
The lamp sockets are the thing to look at when buying something this old.
Kliegl was the Cadillac of the time.

Just one question, do you have 18 circuits available on your upstage electric?

Just one question, do you have 18 circuits available on your upstage electric?[/QUOTE]

you can do it with as little as 3 ( 12K )

:dance:

Yeah, this will probably ship freight. However, you might look in to uShip as an option. It is usually quite a bit more affordable, but you don't have a whole lot of control over your item or how it's packed. Ask the seller to remove the lamps or you will be shaking bits of quartz out of the reflectors for years.

As far as gel frames go, I'd sooner have some made. Lots of sheet metal places can stamp and bend them - the thinner you have them made, the cheaper they will be. Plus, this will be considered a bulk item, so that will help you on fab costs. If you wanted to go a step further, you could weld some mesh on to the back of the frame so they never get separated. Funny how they cut out what I'd consider the most important section for containing lamp ruptures.

I sort of feel investing in quartz instead of LEDs a little like buying rotary phones and someone's 1990's PBX system. I understand you have no money for LED but now you're locking yourself into relamping, gel replacement (theses will burn through deep blues nightly if used much), electricity, and probably some cooling. Someone pulls a leg or drop over these and you have fire (seen that first hand).

Just consider carefully before jumping into and embracing this.

Bill makes some very good points about investing in this equipment. While a good electrician could certainly make these units serviceable for another 10-20 years, they will require nearly constant maintenance between replacing lamps, gel and possibly socket work.

What are you lighting your cyc with right now?

Bill makes some very good points about investing in this equipment. While a good electrician could certainly make these units serviceable for another 10-20 years, they will require nearly constant maintenance between replacing lamps, gel and possibly socket work.

What are you lighting your cyc with right now?

Currently I am using 5 set of 3 alrman cyc lights. Then on ground row I am using 15 Chauvet color pix. I was wanting to move the cyc lights as flood lights, move the LED on the top and these lights on ground row

Currently I am using 5 set of 3 alrman cyc lights. Then on ground row I am using 15 Chauvet color pix. I was wanting to move the cyc lights as flood lights, move the LED on the top and these lights on ground row
Look like they are in decent shape and quality. Never seen that brand of cyc before, but not really my market. Asbestos if there is most likely gone (assuming what was inside was removed during re-wiring, or it’s post use of that type of wiring.)
I would think the hardware cloth was installed more to help support the gel than to protect against shattered lamps. It being a cyc light, not sure if I have seen any cyc lights with protection. Is the hardware cloth a good thing? Assuming that it is in front of the gel, it might not hurt in that any saturated gel will burn thru at the center first anyway. Probably just fine to be there.
The RSC lamp sockets while standard on this type of fixture from it’s period (above) will give you your most trouble. A bit of arching and its difficult to properly clean - but can be done well as long as you keep up on it and don’t allow perfectly good lamps to be installed into a bad base, or swap lamps between bases in causing problems to other sockets.
Lamps are cheap to stock and available from 300w thru 1Kw, I would use frosted for them and GE still makes some HIR lower wattage high output lamps that even if clear are a good bang for your buck.
Were I to buy them, I would (as above) have them inspected by a qualified lighting shop or university level TD/ME type with experience with doing such things. No problems with the Kliegl brand even later in their history - very decent to good quality and way better than something Colortran similar. Leave the non-feed thru alone as three circuit at 500w doesn’t allow for another feed thru fixture on a dimmer - normally it’s six cell cycs as a note.
If your trim height is not a lot in going 300w, or should you want to make them 6-cell cyc’s - as probably easy to do, than go ahead and re-install the feed thru.
Main things to be concerned about is: If there is new whips, but old asbestos inside - doubtful given the approximate date and re-wiring with removal of feed thru listed. Next is the lamp sockets - their condition. As with the lamps that you would probably be best off expecting to replace, I would budget for replacement sockets, time and parts for doing so. Easily done and dependant on which type of lamp socket is needed, your theatrical supply shop or even electrical supply shop can get them for you.

RSC w. Rear Flang

Altman #58-0022

RSC w. Rear Flang

Leviton [HASHTAG]#555[/HASHTAG]

RSC w. Front Flange

Altman #58-0020

RSC w Front Flang

Leviton [HASHTAG]#554[/HASHTAG]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There is other brands for such lamp sockets also, but the main problem will be if the body of the socket is in front of it’s mounting flange and towards the lamp, or behind it’s mounting. Expect retail value of like $15.00 per set or each... I forget. So like the price of a lamp in re-socketing at least half if not all, than also fresh lamp in not re-using an old lamp with a new socket.
Once done properly, should work great as long as you stay up on inspecting the lamps with each replacement for a bad socket. Can fix above sockets in making like new, but if buying new/used, better off starting with new and later having to worry about if to clean or replace the socket. Some old sockets - you have a hot and a neural side of the lamp... so half the sockets could be fine but could also have spring tension / age problems. Your choice on what to replace.
Ah’ I miss doing a in-line high temp. solder splice, it’s like art to do... Cut your wires and use high temperature butt splices to mount new lamp base whips to existing wire, than wrap in 3M [HASHTAG]#23[/HASHTAG] high-temperature electrical tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back