LED house lights

BillConnerFASTC

We had a shoot out today: GDS, Incito (Gotham),The Light Source, and Aquarii. We had previously looked at the Altman Chalice. We are looking at a PL1 Fresnel tomorrow.

GDS is favorite but not a surprise - as it is most expensive. The four small engines had considerably less glare, color was very acceptable, and full range dimming was the best with a good feeling that working with profiles could be better. The Aquarii had good color but the worst glare. Seemed to have a 180 degree field angle. Dimming was little bumpy at low end and a very odd problem that fastest blackout was a 3 or 4 count. Real problem for some applications. Incito had best glare control - deepest can - but dimming was rough. The Light Source was cooler temperatures and steppy dimming and just a little less glare than the Aquarii.

Previous Chalice testing showed very steppy dimming but fine color and glare. Perhaps not as bright.

I should add that our previous experience with the Indigo was much better dimming - like at a turn on last week. We removed the shroud and discovered they changed the driver - previously a large "box" but this sample had a tiny imported driver. Looked like the result of an acquisition.

We believe: the GDS - round pendant 4 cell- lists around $2300; the Altman around $1600 but that was a year ago; and the rest in the $1200 to under 1000 range. I think the PL1 has recently been reduced to under $900.

Will report more as it develops. Problem is things change daily with LEDs.

I saw a demo of the Chroma-Q Inspire LED houselight recently at our facility. Great unit that also employs color mixing so that you can design the houselights in for certain looks. The real surprise was that they are able to shift LED power around - the white chip is a high power chip and when white is at full and the RGB color mixing channels are at zero, more power is shifted over to the white LED. Intensity was great, and the white was a nice warm 4000K-ish. Very easy to warm up to 3200K with the red & green LEDs. The blue, as always with Chroma Q, was amazing. I'm always interested in hearing more about these products.

As far as the Altman Chalice, from what I heard the original demos had steppy dimming and the later models would have the same drivers &c as the rest of the Spectra LED line, so no steps at all. The Chalice that we demo'd a while back had the same issue with ridiculously steppy dimming, as did the original Spectra Strip that we demo'd. Quite steppy but good colors for color mixing. Altman has been putting demos out in the field to show dealers &c. before the final touches are done, which can be problematic.

Thanks for the report.

Since you're looking at recessed types, I had a Prescolite MegaLum in the office a while ago. I hope to do a more thorough demo later: Impressive output and no dimming issues apparent in moderate ambient light.

Well we looked at a PL1 Fresnel and definitely best dimming of the bunch. Very smmoth up and down from off to full. The great blending with absolutely no colored shadows was noticed by the client. Definitely fewer lumens but not bad. Comparing it the the best of the others - GDS - maybe need 8 to 12 more and adjust spacing plan but at 900 vs 2200 not much of a loss. It does have a fan we have to contend with. Nothing final but we have two that are nearly acceptable. I have some messages about at least on more I should consider but not sure client will.

Nothing beats a shootout to separate the wheat from the shaff.

We installed Gotham Incito's in two rooms. (42) units in the room with a 22ft trim height and (24) units the other a 12 ft. trim height. The dimming, at the higher bit rate is very smooth. The light output is very even - very smooth - absolutely even coverage. The glare - well - it could be worse. Working with the company was brutal - couldn't recommend that experience to anyone I liked. Quite the bumpy ride.

Dealing with the company may depend on how the deal goes together.

I just finished a handful of Incito in a black box. There was a driver problem so they flew a tech in, paid for the scaffolding to be reassembled and fixed it all. Calling tech support wasn't the best but it wasn't like calling Microsoft. I had one other phone call to my local contact, that is also my ETC rep. so we have a solid relationship. She did the factory contacts and struggling. The tech was a pleasure too.

I have been told that they are going to replace our auditorium house light bulbs with www.gc-lighting.com/wp-content/uploads/GREEN-CREATIVE-LED-PAR38-19W.pdf . They won't replace the fixtures with DMX units so I am stuck. They sent me four of them to test, I have run them through side by side with the other lights but keep the LED all on seperate dimmer through the mark VII. Slow fades from 5 to 20 seconds and fast chases. So far I am impressed. Although they don't start till 10% they have a slow start up, not a pop on. I would like more watts.

The Canto replacement as seen at LDI looks interesting. Close to 500 watt equivalent with whatever base you need. Good dimming. I think with a profile you can get very good dimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back