LED retrofit

Fountain Of Euph

Hi all
Here is a rather odd questIon for the booth:

My venue has these houselight style fixtures above our stage. (See below). They are open fixtures with par 36 screw base lamps (I think). There is about a foot of plaster between the bottom of the ceiling and the fixtures. They are a pain (and unsafe) to acess, and dont put out good quality light. Just wondering, Would it be possable to replace them with say a 70 degree Source Four LED? If not that, what kind of fixture would you recommend?

proxy.php

Thanks

That sounds like a very expensive retrofit option. What kind of control do you want over the fixtures (dimming only vs color mixing/edge)? If the former, there are drop-in retrofit options, some of which seem to be very good (TCP is a brand name I see thrown around here a lot). There is also the Altman Chalice fixture which could be implemented, though I'm not sure that it's much cheaper than the Source Four LED. They come in standard pendants usually, but there is also a recessed version. It's worth noting that they are also available in RGBW/RGBA options.

If you really want to go with a theatrical fixture, I'd look more closely at LED "par" options. Especially if you don't really need the hard edge. I'd worry a bit about cooling and the possibility of sucking in dust from the attic.

Last edited:
I think if these are primarily concert or platform lighting OR if they are the theatrical lighting over the forestage is the first question. Kind of looks like a music only place but I don't know. Also, do they continue some lighting upstage - like pars? If so, I think I'd either feel compelled to change those at same time or not change. (You could come close to adding an access catwalk or system for cost of some LED retrofits.)

So, probably not a S4 profile but the D60s might be a good choice, or wait for them to have the same colors as the S4 gen 2, to be even more quartz like. If pure concert and changing all down lights over stage, I would look first at Incito down lights from Gotham. Good control.

And just remembered that ETC has the GDS products now. Other than form factor (rectilinear versus round) that LED house light performs very well in terms of dimming and color and more light per dollar than an S4 or D60.

And whatever you decide, do a mock up and get all of the PTB to sign off on it!

Thanks for all the input. Upstage at the valence we have similar fixtures, witch I would like to replace with a real electric. Further are electrics with S4 pars. The venue is a multi - use space, so we do a maybe 6 fully staged shows a year, in addition to lots of music, so somthing theatrical would be nice. All this is theoretical, since the money is a issue. I like LED for the color changing, as well as the fact that I can get grant money for energy efficiency.

The forestage browse and the orchestra shell is the one remaining application where we use quartz - usually an S4Par - but being sure they can be relamped in a reasonable time and at no special cost is important. The concert light just needs to match up stage to down stage and combining LED and Quartz in the same system just doesn't seem close enough - yet or last we looked. And even with the cost of a catwalk, the total project difference seems to be in the $30-40K range in a new build. The one time we tried LED in the shell it sank the shell (cost and cut).

This transitional time makes these decisions tough, especially in modifications to existing buildings.

Hi all
Here is a rather odd questIon for the booth:

My venue has these houselight style fixtures above our stage. (See below). They are open fixtures with par 36 screw base lamps (I think). There is about a foot of plaster between the bottom of the ceiling and the fixtures. They are a pain (and unsafe) to acess, and dont put out good quality light. Just wondering, Would it be possable to replace them with say a 70 degree Source Four LED? If not that, what kind of fixture would you recommend?

proxy.php

Thanks

Might I recommend taking a look at the RETRO 500 Series from RLED . They specialize in line voltage dimming and their lamps start out at around 5000 lumens of output. Very Smooth dimming and no flicker whatsoever. www.rledlighting.com

What is cost range and how large is your commission on each lamp? Clearly you are associated with this company and this is a commercial post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back