Control/Dimming LED Tape W/ The Ion: HELP!

Jeremiah

Quick question. We are Using RGB w/ Warm White LED Tape. Currently trying to program it into a generic profile with the RGBW heading. We have control of the colors, but not the intensity. (i.e. color and intensity seem to be controlled together) When we change to a different profile, the intensity jumps to the next available channel (not the one it has been patched to, but the next number up), in this profile we do not have control of color. Does any one know of the proper profile that we should be assigning with the LED Tape so that we have control of the color and intensity within the same channel?

Thanks!

Sounds like a profile or addressing/patch issue, or a bit of a misunderstanding of how color mixing LEDs works (at least on the EOS family).

The Generic RGBW 8Bit fixture profile should work assuming the following:
-The DMX Controller/Decoder follows the DMX mapping of R=DMX1, G=DMX2, B=DMX3, W=DMX4.
-The controller does not have an independent intensity channel.
-Everything is wired correctly.
-The starting DMX address for the controller is the same as patched in the ION.

The default behavior of this fixture profile if it is correct for your tape with the ION would be that all colors are set to 100% and scaled in the background depending on what the intensity of the channel is set to as it is virtual. Since as you are actually changing the intensity of the source when you lower the level of a color or the white LEDs, intensity of the tape will vary greatly as you mix color.

Without knowing what profile you are switching to from the Generic RGBW, it is hard to tell what that tells us about your problem.

Everything is wired properly, and the patch is consistent with the address on the decoder. As for the the second profile I had mentioned, apologies, the lighting supe was trying different profiles and I didn't have a chance to see what she had switched it to (not very helpful, I know). We were able to get around the issue by creating our own fixture. I was hoping for a quicker solution as we were about to go into day 1 of tech; but we were able to find time during the break to create the fixture profile we actually needed. Thanks for the help though guys!

It seems like you have this solved, but for anyone who comes across this via google, and if I'm understanding correctly:

Your DMX Decoder has Intensity, Red, Green, and Blue parameters. If that's the case, you'd want to use the LED IRGBW profile located under generic in patch. It doesn't have a virtual intensity channel like the non-IRGBW profiles but instead uses the intensity parameter to change overall intensity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back