Light Board Question

sltatom

Hello!
I have been out of the theatre scene for a while and am helping my sons school with a production. Their lightboard cannot even stack faded cues (Chauvet Obey 40) I would like to see if I can get another board form somewhere, but how much set up would I need to go through? They have mostly DMX LEDs but I am borrowing a few Source 4s and Pars

Any help would be appreciated!!! :)

Set up should be easy. I would get an ETC ION board. Make a patch sheet showing your channels and address then go to the patch page. You can find lots of videos to help On line. You'll find the color picker and moving light function fast with and has built in effects.
Simple to record cues, groups, sub, and pallets.

Thank you! I have used an ETC ION before, hopefully we can get a hold of an ETC, that would be what i am most comfortable with as far as programming. i haven't touched a light board in about 4 years or more so having something I have seen before would be nice ;-)

It would be nice to know more about what's in your rig, what types of shows you are doing, and what you want to program. But it sounds like you should be looking at (in descending order of price): ETC Element, Pathway Cognito2, or an ETC Smartfade ML

An Ion is a HUGE step up from an Obey 40 and probably overkill (but again we don't know much about what you are doing). An ETC Element is a solid choice for sure and it's always hard to get past the fact that ETC makes the most solid products with the best service in the industry, if not anywhere on earth. Last I heard, the Element was running around $5,000 depending on the options you add.

The Pathway Cognito, now Cognito2, has been out a few years and it's a sweet little console. If you went to LDI or USITT this year, you would have seen a lot of Cognitos powering the lights in other booths (sometimes hidden because they don't want to annoy ETC). The reason for that is it provides a TON of bang for the buck in a small console that will cost you around $3,500-$4,000 depending on the options you choose. The Cognito2 is not ETC so you immediately surrender the ETC standards of quality and service, but the build quality is solid and I've never heard any complaints about Pathway's service. So it may not be that big of a deal. The Cognito2 uses the most recent variation of the old Horizon Controls software. Which is incredibly easy to learn and use and very powerful.

Both an Element or a Cognito2 would be a nice step up into a more traditional theater console which can easily deal with your LED's.

The more direct, cheapest, and possibly most logical console upgrade may be the ETC Smartfade ML (again it would be nice to know more about what you are doing). It's sort of an Obey 40 not just on Steroids, but on Steroids, the clear, the cream, HGH, and years of work with a high end professional trainer (the full Barry Bonds treatment). It's about $2,400 and designed to make a small LED/Mover rig really look good while still being on a budget. It does not work like a traditional ETC console and as a result, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them. It doesn't come with a screen, but you can run it through a laptop to have a screen. People who use it say the screen isn't that important. If you have a lot of experience with ETC consoles you may find it more frustrating to learn to use than those who have just used the Obey 40. But more than anything it's under $2,500 and has an ETC logo on it which is pretty amazing.

If you tell us more about what you are doing we can give better advice.

With more info we can definitely steer you better. gafftaper has made 3 great suggestions, the Smartfade ML has been around for quite a while now, and there is a reason.

Hello everyone,

I have an obey 40 to use for the lighting for our small theatre. But, a big limitation is that you cant set fade times when you are manually playing back a chase step by step.

Does anyone know a way to do this?

or

Is there any cheap alternatives either software and interface based, or hardware based(other controllers)?

Thanks,
Joshua Hoffman

Software based can get very cheap. The cheapest would be ChamSys's MagicQ software with MagicDMX Basic (~$20) for output. It only provides 1 universe and must be reset after 5 hours of use. MagicDMX Pro or 3rd party DMX dongles (~$100) provide 1 universe of output from MagicQ software without the 5 hour reset. MagicQ software will not allow physical control surfaces unless you use a ChamSys wing. ChamSys's MagicDMX interfaces cannot be used with any 3rd party software. Watch out for some of the cheapest USB DMX devices (Enttec DMX USB Open and it's many clones) - they produce the DMX signal in the CPU and can have timing issues; better quality USB DMX devices (Enttec DMX USB Pro and DMXKing's ultraDMX devices) have a microcontroller in them to produce the actual DMX signal eliminating timing issues. You could also use the network interface on your computer with sACN nodes over an (preferably dedicated) ethernet network.

If you want to have a physical control surface, the cheapest option is probably QLC+ (an open source project) with a cheap MIDI controler such as the Korg nanoKontrol or your current DMX contoroller with an extra DMX input node (I'm not sure if multiple USB intefaces are supported).

Software based can get very cheap. The cheapest would be ChamSys's MagicQ software with MagicDMX Basic (~$20) for output. It only provides 1 universe and must be reset after 5 hours of use. MagicDMX Pro or 3rd party DMX dongles (~$100) provide 1 universe of output from MagicQ software without the 5 hour reset. MagicQ software will not allow physical control surfaces unless you use a ChamSys wing. ChamSys's MagicDMX interfaces cannot be used with any 3rd party software. Watch out for some of the cheapest USB DMX devices (Enttec DMX USB Open and it's many clones) - they produce the DMX signal in the CPU and can have timing issues; better quality USB DMX devices (Enttec DMX USB Pro and DMXKing's ultraDMX devices) have a microcontroller in them to produce the actual DMX signal eliminating timing issues. You could also use the network interface on your computer with sACN nodes over an (preferably dedicated) ethernet network.

If you want to have a physical control surface, the cheapest option is probably QLC+ (an open source project) with a cheap MIDI controler such as the Korg nanoKontrol or your current DMX contoroller with an extra DMX input node (I'm not sure if multiple USB intefaces are supported).

Just a quick up-vote for QLC+...we started using it with our church musical theater productions this year, and I am VERY impressed at it's flexibility and adaptability! (our prior setup was a VERY simplistic Stage Setter 8). On the hardware side, we are using the ENTTEC DMX USB Pro v2, which provides 2 output universes, and a DMX (or MIDI) input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back