Lighting Boards/Controllers

I just want to point out that while this has been a lively discussion. The original post said the budget was tight, hoping to maybe spend $2000. That budget rules out just about every option mentioned except the PC options. The quesiton isn't which style is better, the question is getting the most bang for your buck. When you look at it that way, the PC approach is outstanding. These program have brought the advanced functionality of a great light console down to a price that most can afford. Yeah it can feel a little awkward getting used to, but there's no comparison when you look at it from a functionality on a budget point of view.

Have fun with Lightjockey, it's good software.

I am still looking for an actual lighting board to use with LightJockey, but do not need this right away.
-Tyler

If you still want a piece of hardware, you can hunt the used market for a Leprecon, ETC, Strand, etc., and get something decent. Assuming you bot the newer LJ interface, it can be run over the same data line right through LJ, giving you 512 in and 512 out.

Another PC Based system that I've come across recently and has provent to be handy for SOME things is the Sunlite Suit. It builds on your PC/Laptop with freedom to patching etc and you can do a vizualiser and whatever else is needed. It works through a USB-DMX Widget so that is where the money comes into play as the widget is a fair bit i think, but still may be within your $2000 budget. Check it out at www.nicolaudie.com

If you are not looking for a PC based controller however, the Strand Series and ETC Expression are great boards. If you want a memory board with some programming capabilities (i.e. chases, FX and XF Stack cues) then the Jands ESP II Series is good too. I have done a fair bit of work on them for some theatre gigs.

The interface for the Strand and Expressions though is pretty good, with simple yet effective stuff.

we have an express, and its nice, but i've played around with horizon and would much rather run a show off of it. Maybe I'm also crazy, but i find the express system limiting at times, where i find myself programming upwards of 5 follow cues to do a simple effect. The thing I love about horizon (and others) are palettes. The way my school works often involves moving a light last minute, where it would be much easier to change it once than 30 times or more.

personally I wouldn't unrinate on LJ if it was on fire. It is fine for club stuff (and has the best shape generator ever!) but I would look at somnething like magicQ or hog2pc if you want a cue stack! try www.chamsys.co.uk

I am fairly new to anything other than NSI, which should be avoided at all costs, but my favorite board so far has been the ETC Expression 3 ECS. I have tried several other boards but by far this was the easiest to use. However, i might be out of your price range depending on how your house is set up. The theater at my school is fairly new so all of the lighting comes off of a Cat 5 system.

NSI Gear is actually not all that bad. Their basic console provide the durability needed for really small school and rental house parcan rigs, and some of their lines of dimmers (the ones with breakers, not fuses) can hold up to quite a bit of abuse. And their "DS" series rack mount dimmers have interchangeable dimming and control modules, so that if a single module dies, you can switch it out, reducing repair and replacement costs. Their higher end consoles, while they may seem like the end of the world to some, are great for someone who either gets that or a two scene preset.

Now I would never choose NSI gear over Leprecon or ETC given the choice and the budget, but budgets do interesting things with your gear choices.

</hijack>
Sorry for hijacking, folks.

If you're looking for just a physical light board for parcans to hook up to LJ, and have LJ just control the wigglers, look in to a Leprecon 1500 or 1600 board or the ETC Smartfade. Both of these boards do have limited cue capability. You can even get the Leprecon 1600 with a VGA out for a monitor. If you're really looking for just a cheap dimmer control panel to do static and two-scene preset stuff, check out the Leprecon 600 series.

This is kind of an old post, however it caught my eye, and I feel like giving my 2 cents.

Now, it sounds like you would like a facepanel to use in conjunction with LJ. I'm assuming you're really just looking for faders to toy around with so you can create looks without the fiddling of a mouse. I can think of numerous boards you can use, however, it all depends on what you're doing. If you plan on controlling ML's with this board, well, I wouldn't really say there's much point, seeing as I'm assuming (I haven't tried LJ) LJ has an effects engine, which is probably more efficient than fiddling around with faders for every desired parameter on every fixture.

However, if you would like a board to use to set levels for conventionals to be recorded in cues ala lightjockey, I would recommend a smartfade, pretty basic board, and if your sole intention is using faders to set levels, it would be more than adequate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back