Long run of VGA

you will be fine. I have run many different setups, but the last one was about 60' of extensions run from stage to an ancient A/B vga box at FOH to switch my Mac and stage inputs. It then goes from A/B box via 100' of older VGA cable to a powered DA a the projectors (I twin stack mine). All running 1024x768 with no problems. In fact the presenter showed up with a little netbook with his presentation on it and it ran just fine. My extensions are 10'ers and seem to resemble the ones you are using.
I'm glad it works for you but I would be careful about declaring that it will work in general. I have had some similar experiences but I have also had experiences where less than 50' of generic VGA cable caused problems. And that is the problem, there is a difference between something that you know should work and something that may work and dealing with unknowns such as the specifics of the cable that virtually forces any situation into the latter category.

We had a group come in with a cheap VGA cable (50 or so feet) and every time somebody talked into a wireless mic, the picture quality would go to hell.

They came back the next time with bulans + Cat5, and it worked perfectly, and was an easier to handle cable

What makes good VGA cable is that each of the signals in carried inside a miniature, impedance matched, coaxial cable inside the over-all jacket. Each signal has its own tiny coax, and there are five of them inside the jacket. The impedance matching and shielding of the coaxial contruction reduces signal loss and high frequency roll-off, and prevents standing wave reflections that would cause ghosting in the image.

There seems to be an un-written rule about VGA cables. The ones with smooth jackets are not impedance matched, and may not use coaxial construction at all. I wouldn't trust smooth cable more than 6 feet. The ones with fine ribs running along the jacket of the cable generally are impedance matched and should work reasonably well over longer distances. There may be exceptions to ribbed/smooth, but I haven't encountered it yet. As others have said, 50 feet is a good rule of thumb. Farther if you can live with a little degredation.

Also, keep in mind that VGA cables are inherently fragile. Kinks, crushes, and mechanical wear and tear can ruin the constant impedance of the individual coaxes, and will reduce performance. That's why most of these cable are designed to be rather stiff to prevent damage. Roll and un-roll it gently, limit the amount of handling, and protect it from abuse.

If you have the space for a really fat bundle of cables, you can go much farther without significant loss by using VGA to BNC adapters and then running five, RG-59 or RG-6 (75 ohm) coax cables. The reason is that the bigger the diameter of the coax, the less loss and roll-off it has. The individual coaxes need to be kept exactly the same length, or the pixel colors won't line up (more on skew in a moment). Where space allows for this bundle of cables, it is probably the best long distance solution. For places where space is limited, such as small conduits, then conversion to Cat-5 is the next best.

Baluns and Cat-5 cable is often a decent solution, especially when the cable has to be small. But, you have to watch out for skew. Skew is mis-alignment of the three colors that make up the image. Skew is caused by the different length of each of the pairs in the cable, due to different twist rates of the pairs. Skew becomes a factor as the cable becomes longer. Skew is worse for Cat-6 cable. Belden and Mohawk make video-specifc, low skew cable, and there are converter boxes that allow for skew correction on standard cables. Again, mechanical damage and wear is a big factor with Cat-5 cables. At least they are cheap enough to replace frequently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back