Long throw source four sizes.

Fountain Of Euph

Hi everbody.
I am (still) updating the lighting systems in my venue. We recently took down all the lights, cleaned and focused them, and then rehung them.

We are going to replace our 1969 HUB electric 6X12's hung in our ceeling coves with Source fours. We already have two 10 degrees, that seem to do a good job. However, a high school buddy is really pushing the 14 degree. My alma mater just replaced our Shakespeare elipzodals with 14'S and really like them.

So here is my question: should I spec the 10 or 14 degree. Is there any advantages to one over the other?

Final thought: we still have the HUB electrics with the impossable tracks. I have had a hard time hanging the 10 in the coves do to there mass and awkwardness. Would a 14 be less ungainly?

Thanks!

Hi everbody.
I am (still) updating the lighting systems in my venue. We recently took down all the lights, cleaned and focused them, and then rehung them.

We are going to replace our 1969 HUB electric 6X12's hung in our ceeling coves with Source fours. We already have two 10 degrees, that seem to do a good job. However, a high school buddy is really pushing the 14 degree. My alma mater just replaced our Shakespeare elipzodals with 14'S and really like them.

So here is my question: should I spec the 10 or 14 degree. Is there any advantages to one over the other?

Final thought: we still have the HUB electrics with the impossable tracks. I have had a hard time hanging the 10 in the coves do to there mass and awkwardness. Would a 14 be less ungainly?

Thanks!

The 10 degree uses the larger lens assembly, so the size alone may be an issue. The 10 deg. is 4 inches longer and about 4 inches wider at the color fame holder, then a 14 deg.

FWIW, the S4 26 deg. is the typical choice as a 6x12 replacement. Are you certain of the need for a 14 ?. I'd get a demo. with a few lens tubes, 10, 14, 19 & 26 and do a in-house test.

Just because your friends are using 14* lens tubes doesn't mean you should be using them in yours, unless of course they fit the parameters you set for what is needed.

Get a demo. Buy once.

If the 14° meets your needs, it offers several advantages over the 10°:
1. Size, as has been mentioned above.
2. Uses less color, 7.5"x7.5" vs. 12"x12".
3. Price.
4. Is an EDLT, part of the reason it costs more than a "standard" Source Four.
5. I've always found 5° and 10° units more difficult to focus, both to get the desired edge/gobo sharpness, as well as bench focus.

Most of the negatives above also apply to the 15/30 zooms. Which would be a waste anyway if they're always set at 15° at FOH.
... FWIW, the S4 26 deg. is the typical choice as a 6x12 replacement. Are you certain of the need for a 14 ?. I'd get a demo. with a few lens tubes, 10, 14, 19 & 26 and do a in-house test.
Perhaps the existing Hub 6x12 are single lens? Which would be comparable to 6x22 type throws. In any case, even once having done the math, it's worth it to rent or borrow assorted lens tubes from Grand Stage, DesignLab, or Chicago Spotlight to test for yourself in your space.

The HUB lights were not the right fixtures for the application. I want to replace 15 of them with 7 source fours. Im not positive they are 6x12 in the first place.

Will a supplier do a demo for free. My budget can possibly purchase a Starbucks...

I would love to get some zooms, however I agree with derekleffew that they would be not be to efficient in this environment. I have some 19 and 26 too, but they don't pack the punch required.
Thanks for all the responses

While you will get a bit more intensity out of a 14° vs a 19°, I don't think it will be life-changing. If it's an option, you may want to consider lamping up to a 750 Watt HPL (if you aren't already there). Also on the odd chance that you are using a 750X (long-life), you could switch to the regular 750, of course trading intensity for a lower color temperature and lifespan.YMMV.

Yes, most lighting dealers or distributers will gladly demo instruments for you, especially Source Fours, as I'm sure they've got some sitting around. In some cases, they will even let you keep them for a period of time to try them out. Pay careful attention to which instruments they give you, and if they give you any with different lamps. Take at look at this list of manufactures and vendors, and this list of dealers and reps. It's a good idea to support your local dealer whenever possible, as you have a vested interest in developing a relationship with them, because they will be the one to repair your gear, and you will often get more free stuff.

Central. Bloomington/Normal/Peoria region

I have always really liked the 14deg. The 5 and 10 just never did it for me. I felt that I had better quality of light from a 14deg shuttered down than a 10deg wide open. Plus as it has been said before, the 14deg is easier to focus since its smaller and it uses a 7.5" frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back