Looking for controller advice for a complete beginner

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong forum section, but here goes.

I've never run lights outside of pushing color buttons & sliding strobe faders on junk lighting boards that some clubs/bars happened to have. However, I travel with a band that is about to purchase four Chauvet Intimidator 250 movers & two of the Chauvet 4Bar LEDs & I will be running the light show for them.

My question is what controllers should I/we be looking at? The suggestions I got from the only couple of people I know in the industry involved running Chamsys with a really expensive wing or the Martin software with apc midi wings. Unfortunately, the learning curve seems absolutely massive for the computer software. I downloaded both just to look at them & I may as well be looking at the software controlling the Mars Rover haha.

Thanks in advance!
Jon

I would stick with Chauvet and get the Obey 40.

I would stick with Chauvet and get the Obey 40.

Thanks for the reply! But how would that board work with the movers, especially with programming them? I was under the impression that boards like that one were only for stationary lights. Like I said, complete beginner

Find a buddy who can train you on "real software" it will be better for you in the long run to start getting comfortable with if you aspire to larger gigs.

The Obey series is, in my opinion, beyond frustrating to run live with a band. Look at getting a used Elation Magic 260 at least if you want an easy physical console or go right to software like Pie suggested. You may actually want two controllers for those lights - one to run the 4bars and one to run the movers. You can get a universe of Martin's M-PC for free if you buy an Enttec USB DMX Pro box. That's some powerful software. If you set it up right, it's easy to use too - you can have a whole screen of cues that you can just click on if you want to.

The Obey product line is a great entry level controller that works with any DMX fixture - moving heads included. However, if you intend on using these fixtures in a live situation, I would recommend our controller that is PC/Mac based because it offers so much more flexibility, can be triggered wirelessly [with our free app] and can run an unlimited number of scenes simultaneously. Check out ShowXpress when you have a moment because I think you will be impressed at how simple [yet advanced] it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back