looking for someone with experience with the MagicDMX full USB to DMX kit from MagicQ

Bryce_J

im concidering buying a magicdmx full for small time lighting and small gigs (bands, djs, parties, basic uplight with a few small moving lights, testing fixtures, small concerts...) and want to know if its really worth my $100. if anyone has one and can tell me how they like it that would be great.

It might also be worth looking at the ultraDMX micro from DMXKing. It is listed as compatible with MagicQ. Also a 3rd party dongle would allow you to try other software as well. On the other hand, if you go MagicDMX and MagicQ, you know who to turn to for support if something's not working. I don't have experience with either product, but I am interested in this discussion as a possible route to upgrade from a 2-scene preset board at my church (the more expensive part of the upgrade is converting the DMX back to 0-10v control of the existing dimmer pack).

I was going to get a dmxking in the first place but the reason I want to go with the magicdmx is because I get to run magicQ un interrupted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own the MagicDMX basic. It is output only and has the 5 hour timeout. AFAIK, it is the only DMX interface that has the timeout restriction in MagicQ. Any other 3rd-party USB to DMX interface that it supports should work without any interruption. 3rd-party USB interfaces are only supported on the first universe.

I own the MagicDMX basic. It is output only and has the 5 hour timeout. AFAIK, it is the only DMX interface that has the timeout restriction in MagicQ. Any other 3rd-party USB to DMX interface that it supports should work without any interruption. 3rd-party USB interfaces are only supported on the first universe.

That is the impression I get from the ChamSys site as well, but it is not clearly stated that 3rd-party USB interfaces are not subject to the time limit. First universe & output only is common to both versions of MagicDMX and all 3rd-party USB DMX interfaces when used with MagicQ.

Ya in reality it's the cheapest thing I can run shows off without worrying about how manny channels I have to address to

Iv worked with dmxking a in the past and they worked wonderfully but I ran them with vista which is a 4k software and 100 for a software and interface sounds really good

3rd party dongles do not have a time limit. I have an Enttec USB DMX Pro that I use with Chamsys Magic Q PC. The only limitation is no MIDI or DMX inputs, only one universe of output is enabled on Universe 1, no remote focus via iPad remote.

I started with Freestyler and ran some scanners and led pars for bands. Now I have outgrown it and I use Chamsys. Go with an Enttec dongle as from what I have read it is more commonly supported.

So far an Enttec USB DMX Pro with Chamsys on your run of the mill laptop has worked fine for me, although if you are busking you will defiantly want a touchscreen.

I feel like I'd have a better time if I had a real Chamsys console or at least a wing. MagicQ's PC interface feels way too clunky for a mouse. Buttons>>touchscreen>>mouse>>touchpad. Though to be fair- the Eos OLE/Nomad isn't perfect either. At least there, it's pretty quick to pick up the keyboard shortcuts to do conventionals quickly. Overall though, I think the most important thing to remember is that both are designed to do very different things for quite different markets. Both are very capable, the focus is just centered differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back