Looking for suggestions for new Fresnels

Our theatre's stock of fresnels are slowly dying, and we can't source replacement ceramics for them - they changed the specs for them, and the new ceramics don't work in the fixture - long and short of it, we need a new fixture.
We're currently stocking the Strand 12081 6" Fresnelites, and are looking for something ...nicer, but with a 7.5" gel gate, and BTR- or 750W HPL-ish output.
(Yes, it has to be a conventional halogen source.)

Can you suggest models and brands, with their pros and cons?

We've already seen the Robert Juliat 310 (nice, but a bit too big) but their 306's might be okay - and the Philips Strand/Selecon High Performance Rama's also on our shortlist already - but we'd certainly consider others.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Medium Pre Focus is dead to me. The Source 4 Fresnel is rather sweet, but the Altman 65Q with an HPL works better than you'd think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sorry, broken record here, but... my absolute faves are Source Four pars, and it's not even from bias. Their output is terrific, the lenses easily interchangeable, and their edge focus is noticeably softer than the outdated Altman counterparts that I am personally used to working with!

Sorry, broken record here, but... my absolute faves are Source Four pars, and it's not even from bias. Their output is terrific, the lenses easily interchangeable, and their edge focus is noticeably softer than the outdated Altman counterparts that I am personally used to working with!

I love the Source 4 PAR too, but it isn't a Fresnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

... my absolute faves are Source Four pars...

We do have a stock of the S4 PARs - and yes, they're great. (We're missing the Very Wide lenses, but that's hopefully going to be rectified soon too.)

It's really a Fresnel we're looking for, in the "under 18lb" range. (Personally, I'd like a whack of 50º ERSes, but we're looking to please incoming LDs who may be ...persnickety. :) ...Uh, read that as "exacting in their desires for a fresnel fixture".) For that reason, we're not considering the PARNel (although I like them too), and sadly I won't be getting my boatload of 50s.

The Selecon has a decent output (on paper anyway), and a range outside that of the ETC Fresnel, top and bottom (5º-56º?!). (Although, having to stock one lamp for -everything- except the automated lights does have a good amount of appeal...)

Well if the RJ 310 is too big for you then the RJ ZEP LED Fresnel is probably too big as well. If size and weight isn't really an issue it is worth looking at. It is a Real Fresnel. it offers the classic single, soft edge one expects from the Fresnel and is as bright as a 1k.

I got a S4 fresnel in for demo about a couple of months ago for possible purchase of two dozen. I was startled by the weight, much heavier than I would believe necessary. Second problem was lamp access. Although touted as a better way, I really can't imagine extracting and holding in even a gloved hand the solid metal base assembly while you remove the just burned out lamp. If the fixtures will be treated carelessly, the power leads to the lamp assembly (which also keep it attached to the fixture) will be subject to undo strain. It took repeated attempts to secure the two quarter-turn fasteners that hold the improved gel frame door closed; can't imagine how frustrating it would be on a fixture 20' in the air. The spill from the fixture from the sides of the lens area was unbelievable; if I remember correctly, the instructions were to always leave the gel frame in place to prevent this. The old 213 series Colortran fresnel I was comparing it to started looking pretty good at this point.
I really did want to like the S4, but just couldn't. Will be looking at the Altman 65Q with HPL lamp, and possibly the Selecon Rama instead.

Our theatre's stock of fresnels are slowly dying, and we can't source replacement ceramics for them - they changed the specs for them, and the new ceramics don't work in the fixture - long and short of it, we need a new fixture.
We're currently stocking the Strand 12081 6" Fresnelites, and are looking for something ...nicer, but with a 7.5" gel gate, and BTR- or 750W HPL-ish output.
(Yes, it has to be a conventional halogen source.)

Can you suggest models and brands, with their pros and cons?

We've already seen the Robert Juliat 310 (nice, but a bit too big) but their 306's might be okay - and the Philips Strand/Selecon High Performance Rama's also on our shortlist already - but we'd certainly consider others.

Ideas?

Thanks!

WOOT! yay for sticking with a conventional Halogen light source! :=)

The key item to remember-- Use BTH lamps (not BTLs) if you go the Pre-focus socket route. :) 575W, 115V. They put out the same output (lumens and color temp) as a 575W GLC or 575W HPL. Almost the same output as a 750W Fresnel lamp for 575W.

Amazing how long the Altman 65Q has remained on the "favorite" list!
Kind of the Super Trouper of the fresnel world ...
Price matters!

Exactly, a fresnel is a fresnel. There isn't much for a $400 fresnel to improve on versus one that costs $200. A designer or rider isn't going to care if it's a 65q or a s4 fresnel as long as long as it works. It's not like a leko where you have to worrry about all of the lensing, and accessories that go with them.

It's nice if they don't leak like collanders, though. We run a fair number of shows with a goodly amount of haze (read: as much as I think I can get away with) and the unintentional beamage from our current stock is ...disheartening. It's like we have hundreds of inky pinspots! And since I tend to use the fresnels for those deep, dark, saturated colours our LEDs can't quite get to... Those leaks are quite apparent. And I'd rather be fussy about what we pick now than deal with sub-par (*cough* ...sorry.) fixtures for the foreseeable future.

While this might not be the right fit for you, other people looking for Fresnel may find it useful.
The Chauvet Ovation fresnel is a White LED that can replace a halogen fresnel, the Ovation ERS looks better than a S4 ellipsoidal at 575w as well. these both come in 3200k or 5600k. Another benefit to LEDs, though some people will have trouble getting used to it, is there is no amber shift with dimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back