Looking to start a career - advice?

Hi all!

In the past couple years I have developed a strong passion for theatre tech work - I enjoy it in a way that cannot compare to any other work I've come across. I'm currently a junior in college and working for the college's carpentry and electrical crews while also serving as TD for a student-run company. I'm pretty strongly considering theatre tech as a career path. I'm fortunate enough to live near the NYC area and have many theatre companies within commuting range, and I'm hoping to apply for internships there for this coming summer.

However, I do have a couple of questions that come with the line of work. First is a matter of schedule. Over the summer I worked an unpaid carpentry internship at a regional theatre. While I was there, 60-70 hours a week was the norm for non-load in weeks, and during load in we often surpassed 80 hours. During the final load in we hit a point where we worked a 21 hour day, followed by an 18 hour overnight shift, followed by a couple more midnight calls. I understand that irregular schedules and long shifts during tech weeks are to be expected in this line of work, but is this what I should anticipate or is it a more extreme case, maybe of an understaffed or poorly managed theatre? (my understanding of the place, from what I gleaned over the course of 3 months, was that management wasn't superb). How many hours on average do you guys work during non-tech weeks? How many during techs? My girlfriend is not involved in theatre and likely would be working some kind of 9 to 5; would it be difficult for me to manage a life with her while working in a theatre?

Secondly, how difficult is it to get into the union? Freelance work obviously brings with it some financial concerns, mainly health insurance and the like. Would I be required to live with that uncertainty for a while as I attempt to find a contract at a company or a membership with the union?

And finally, I guess I'm wondering how compartmentalized everything is, as far as departments go. I really enjoy doing scenic and props carpentry, but I also love working with rigging systems and light fixtures. I'm hoping to learn a bit more about working with sound, and maybe even picking up some basic costuming skills. Would that kind of versatility be viewed as a strength, or would I be forced to specialize in a single category, as I was over the summer with carpentry?

Thanks guys. I'm weighing the potential risks with the benefits, because I really do love this line of work. I hope your responses will help give me some insight!

However, I do have a couple of questions that come with the line of work. First is a matter of schedule. Over the summer I worked an unpaid carpentry internship at a regional theatre. While I was there, 60-70 hours a week was the norm for non-load in weeks, and during load in we often surpassed 80 hours. During the final load in we hit a point where we worked a 21 hour day, followed by an 18 hour overnight shift, followed by a couple more midnight calls. I understand that irregular schedules and long shifts during tech weeks are to be expected in this line of work, but is this what I should anticipate or is it a more extreme case, maybe of an understaffed or poorly managed theatre? (my understanding of the place, from what I gleaned over the course of 3 months, was that management wasn't superb). How many hours on average do you guys work during non-tech weeks? How many during techs? My girlfriend is not involved in theatre and likely would be working some kind of 9 to 5; would it be difficult for me to manage a life with her while working in a theatre?

I'll bite on this. I work at a road house so every day is "tech week". Most the jobs that are out there will be more like what I do vs the traditional theatre model. My timesheets can flutuate from 50 hours over two weeks to 130 hours over two weeks. It really just depends on the season. If my wife did not work with me I would not see her that much. If she was not "into" what I did she would probably be pissed about it. Considering your first job will most likely be freelance gun for hire type thing expect most days being at least a 12. After that, if you want to do theatre you will either go to a rep company that pays pennies and have to move or go on tour. First time theatre tours can be some of the most hellish expereinces there can be... crap venues, junk gear, and usually one offs. I have witnessed more then my fair share of the guy who is on the phone during all of load in doing the "You knew this when I left... It will only be a few more weeks... Call the plumber to fix it.... I'm sorry the baby is sick and crying all night.... ".

That being said... what are you going to college for currently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back