LX Abbreviation

AlexDonkle

Does anyone know the history of how "LX" became the chosen abbreviation for "Lighting" in theatres? A coworker asked me about it, and I haven't been able to find any good explanation for where it came from. Most other industries typically use "LTG" as far as I know, which seems slightly more intuitive...

Does anyone know the history of how "LX" became the chosen abbreviation for "Lighting" in theatres? A coworker asked me about it, and I haven't been able to find any good explanation for where it came from. Most other industries typically use "LTG" as far as I know, which seems slightly more intuitive...

I would say a British contraction of "electrics" or "elecs".

ST

As Steve said, I always assumed it came from "electrics" being shortened to "elecs" which when pronounced is the same as "L" "X"

In medicine, everything is shortened to ?X. Treatment is Tx, Diagnosis is Dx, Hx = History, Sx = symptoms. I assume it's along the same logic of x as merely a filler. As short as you can get in order to write less, while still enough to be clear on the intended meaning.

I am almost certain it is an abbreviation of electrics. Which is the same reason some theatres called their lighting bars LX1, LX2, LX3 etc.
Because battens with power where you fly lights are called "Electrics"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back