These Ads will no longer appear once you have logged into ControlBooth.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making her a ghost... hmm...

Discussion in 'Special Effects' started by bull, Jan 4, 2010.

1. bull

bull Member

Conyers, Georgia, United States, 103757676329595,
    Ok, So I'm about to start my designs for a production for Blithe Spirit, and I have my Lighting concept down, only I am also doing some of the SFX work, and I can't decide how I want to make Elvira appear and dissappear... has anybody seen a really cool way of doing this. I am working in a Black Box Theatre for this one, the audience will be as close as 5-10 feet.
  2. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Not sure if you could use fog in your auditorium, but you might able to have a ground fog and have the ghost walk though it.
    You could put a blue light in it for an eerie effect..
    Just thinking, hope it helps!
  3. bull

bull Member

hmm... a ground haze might be nice... there is one scene that i think i could use that in where it wouldn't have to dissipate ridiculously fast.
  4. cdub260

cdub260 CBMod CB Mods

Blythe Spirit was the first show I ever worked as a tech, 20+ years ago back in 1989.
  5. Jackalope

Jackalope Member

Interesting, it was the my first college production in 84', They stuck me on the flys and I think my only cues were taking out the main drape at the top and bringing it in and out at Intermission... I remember that the show seemed to go on forever:(
  6. bull

bull Member

My director is determined on making me act, whether I want too or not, So I am currently Charles in Blithe Spirit, as well as the Lighting Designer/Electrician. Soooo... I have canceled all plans I had for the next two months...
  7. levi

levi New Member

oh that sucks. my director was going to make me act for our spring play. i told him that if i had to act there would be no set and id just not do any tech. haha. he let me do what i wanted :)
  8. bull

bull Member

I don't get a choice at all... my final exam consisted of knowing 10 monologues, and doing lighting for 40 individual events... I don't really mind though.
  9. llecount

llecount Member

The theatre dept on our campus just did Blythe last semester. In addition to some pale/whitish makeup, we followed Elvira around with a follow spot. Turns out a 575HMI lamp with no color and R119 diffusion made her look 'ghostly' while she was on stage. Throw in a little low lying for whenever she enters the set, and I don't think that would look too bad. Maybe not the best answer, but it's something to think about and try. :)
  10. draco17315

draco17315 Member

We did Heaven Can Wait a few years back and we did a Peppers Ghost Effect. Now our audiance was in a regular sized High school auditorium, but this is a very effective SFX if done properly. We built it right into the set we used. There are alot of different designs for this on Google. Good Luck :)
  11. bull

bull Member

Yea, I'm a lot more limited now, we are doing this in a black box theatre setting as a "theatre in the round" so I have audience members on all four sides of the stage, so i might do some low lying fog, but a follow spot cant happen, might try peppers ghost effect, but will probably just do a congo blue wash... maybe... (its one of my fav rosco colors)
  12. billn

billn New Member

How do the actors enter/exit the stage, with audience on all four sides? It sounds like a real problem, except for makeup/costume.
  13. bull

bull Member

We have changed it to a Thrust style stage instead of theatre in the round. We have about a 16 foot section of stage with out audience at 12 o'clock, and then a 10 foot section of audience at 3 o'clock, a 16 ft. section of audience at 6 o'clock, and another 10 ft. section of audience at 9 o'clock. It's interesting, i'll post pics monday.