Marking Personal Cable

kwithnok

i have a personal bag of cables and I am after a better way to mark them. Current is duct tape, but I am thinking of moving to heatshrink or spraypaint. Will spray paint come off the cables? Any other ideas/ considerations?

I would recommend a smaller type of tape, such as spike tape.
However if you truly are looking to avoid tape then I would recommend not using paint because when the paint dries and you coil your cable the dried paint will crack and over time completely fall off.
Another simple cheap way is to tie line it in a knot that is different from the theater you're in, this also allows the marking to be useful, just be sure your knot is different

does that work ok?
Console tape is very flat, so it stays out of the way on the connector and doesn't easily rub off if you apply it well. And you can remove it easily without leaving a lot of residue. I also use console tape on the top of mic stands, or on the barrel of a wireless handheld, to help identify channels, especially when the mics are moving around a lot (middle school music concerts). I've been pretty happy with this solution, and I have never had to replace tape on any of the cords after at least a dozen uses. For the mic stands I often change the color of tape on a given stand as my channel assignment changes a bit from concert to concert, but no residue problems and no issues with it peeling off.

Fyi I don't put tape on the rubber cord. I've tried it on the cord before and it does leave a residue there.

I have six colors of console tape, since I don't mix my cords with house cords I have only used green to identify my 50' cables separate from the rest (25').

Duct tape is quite sticky if it comes off. I would zip tie a flag on them how extension cables come with the warning labels on the out of the big box stores.

Last edited:
You can also get cordlox (and other brands) custom printed with your name on them. If the idea is making identification easy, choose a semi-unique color, although the minimum order is usually high.

I wonder if something like this would work. http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...k-Film-Rolls/4-x-180-Clear-Marine-Shrink-Tape

or this http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/heat-shrinkable-insulation-tape.htm
I think I found my solution. Just get this in a nice yellow or something.

It's a little more expensive than heat shrink or tape, but velco cable ties are good for identifying cables. Getting your name printed on them is probably cost prohibitive, but if you get them in a non-black color they will stand out. And at the end of the day your cables have a velco cable tie on.

1/2" gaffers tape does the trick very well.

I color code my cables, AC, mic, DMX, etc., as follows:

5' & 50' - blue
10' & 100' - red
25' & 75' - green

If you want to add an identifier, add an additional color that goes on all cables like yellow or white. You will know what cables are yours and also the length.

It's a little more expensive than heat shrink or tape, but velco cable ties are good for identifying cables. Getting your name printed on them is probably cost prohibitive, but if you get them in a non-black color they will stand out. And at the end of the day your cables have a velco cable tie on.

I checked cordlox and their minimum for custom printing is 250 pieces, but at least they don't have to be the same size strap, they can be different ones.

I checked cordlox and their minimum for custom printing is 250 pieces, but at least they don't have to be the same size strap, they can be different ones.
i bought about a hundred black velcro ties on amazon, so im taken care of in that aspect.. im thinking printing out a label and either just taping it or clear heat shrinking it on.

Self-Laminating cable labels are what I typically use. They hold up to a fair amount of abuse, and they look professional.

Heatshrink over tape or printed label -- it will support even cheap printer paper. Downside is you have to dis-assemble at least one end in order to get it on. I still mark lighting cables to length with spike tape (red is 5', yellow 10', blue 25', green 50', make up intermediate lengths with multiple bands) but sound cable doesn't seem to warrant that as much.

The thing I've been trying to remember on my sound cable, though (I only do it when I repair a piece) is I put a unique but arbitrary four-digit number on both ends. Makes it SO much simpler to sort through the tails that didn't get labeled during a hectic install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back