Microphones Miking (micing) a flute: Shure v. Audix

sdauditorium

We have a scholarship/beauty pageant coming up in a few weeks and will have a few contestants who will be using various instruments. Since there is usually only 30 seconds between one talent and the next (includes setup and strike) we are trying to minimize work for the stagehand setting microphones up while providing consistent sound quality. I'd like a bit of feedback on my options. We have plenty of Sennheiser wireless, so if there are any sort of lapels/instrument mics that would work for flutes/saxophones, I'd love to hear those thoughts as well.
  • Flutist: Audix ADX10 v. Shure 57/58 on a stand. The Audix simply clips on the flute which would simply things. Any feedback on those?
  • Sax: any ideas?
  • Baby grand: would prefer to get away from the standard two-mic configure if we can get something close to the same quality with either a pickup, wireless option or the like. I'm open to any ideas.
Thanks!

Biggest problem with flute is wind noise. The frequency range is limited so that is not an issue. Lots of windscreen and a mic that doesn't overload on loud noise. Good old 58 with an additional windscreen shoved over it so it doesn't clack against the flue is probably the simplest (and therefore fast) solution.

The E908B-EW would not work on a flute, as there is no way to attach it. It would work fine on sax, trumpet, trombone (without mutes). A Shure Beta 98H/C is similar.

I presume the flute is solo, so you don't need huge amounts of gain to compete with a band. A lav mic on the chest mic might work just fine.

A grand piano can work fine with one mic. I have had good luck with putting a single mic, on a straight floor stand, placed in the middle of the crook. Use a wood block to prop the lid open just 2" and point the mic toward the high hammers. A large diaphragm condenser works best. A carefully placed PZM taped to the lid can work. There are other mono mic methods that work, too.

For the piano, the Barcus Berry 4000 appeals to me for situations like these. No worries for variations in mic placement, even with one mic. Any input?

Pickups like the Barcus Berry or the C-ducer are great at gain before feedback and isolation, but I doubt those are needs here. Can anyone comment about how they sound? It's been many years since I used a C-ducer, but it didn't sound natural enough to use on solo instrument, or for jazz, classical.

Pickups like the Barcus Berry or the C-ducer are great at gain before feedback and isolation, but I doubt those are needs here. Can anyone comment about how they sound? It's been many years since I used a C-ducer, but it didn't sound natural enough to use on solo instrument, or for jazz, classical.

You're right in that feedback and isolation aren't a concern. The reason I'm trying to make it easier is that the stagehands this pageant group uses - while they are familiar with our space and are relatively knowledgable (they aren't trained techs) - I'm trying to keep setup as easy and quick as possible while keeping things as consistent and simplified as can be hoped for. Maybe nothing can be changed from how we have been doing it but figured now was the time to ask.

Just mic'd up a flute last week for a band concert. I used a 58 on a boom stand. I originally had it above the performers head pointing down, but I was getting A LOT of breath noise. Moved the mic about 1' over the instrument and I was able to get a much more clear sound.

To keep the stage free of cords, I may go with an Senn e845 on a boom for both the sax and flute which are what we use with our wireless systems along with a wind screen. We'll just need to spike the floor for both mic and talent, and they'll need to hit their spots for appropriate distance from the mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back