Mole Richardson White Paint On A softbox?

Easy mark

Hi all;

I know you probably don't often deal with soft boxes (the cloth ones for still photography) but does anyone know how well the Mole Richardson High Temp. White Softlite Reflector Spray Paint would adhere to the inside of a softbox?

http://www.lightsonretail.com/Merch...le-AC241-60054&Category_Code=Mole-Spray-Paint

I have an old photoflex softbox and it has turned yellow on the inside (throwing the white balance off by about 1,000K)

I just would like to know if the paint will adhere to the fabric and whether regularly folding up and unfolding the softbox will cause it to peel off or not.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty certain that spray paint is designed to repaint/touch up the interior finish on a metal housed softlight. I doubt it would work well on fabric. I'm not sure if Mole ever made a fabric folding softlight such as you describe.............

agree with above and I normally use HT white Rustoleum for my own sotlights.... are you "inside" painting the reflector or doing something to the fabric described? Mole paint by the was is the best quality and while expensive, if used properly just about every drop of paint will get out of it. Obviously one would want to replace fabric if yellowing and or if the reflector paint is yellowing this would be a solution.

@ship:

Sorry, I didn't even see your reply. Apologies for the delay.

But just to clarify, the inside lining of the sides of the fabric has yellowed. (Not the "baffle" fabric that difuses the light, but the REFLECTIVE sides of the inside of the soft box).

So would you recommend the HT White Rustoleum for that inside reflective fabric? I wasn't 100% sure from your post.

Thanks in advance.

@ship:

Sorry, I didn't even see your reply. Apologies for the delay.

But just to clarify, the inside lining of the sides of the fabric has yellowed. (Not the "baffle" fabric that difuses the light, but the REFLECTIVE sides of the inside of the soft box).

So would you recommend the HT White Rustoleum for that inside reflective fabric? I wasn't 100% sure from your post.

Thanks in advance.

post a photo as Im not familiar with fabric inside a soft light.

post a photo as Im not familiar with fabric inside a soft light.

I am not sure what the white material that lines the inside of the sides (and top and bottom) is, whether it is vinyl or a rubber lining.

The baffles (the translucent material that the light PASSESS THROUGH) are fine.

Just the LINING on the inside has yellowed over time.

The softboxes are foldable since they are made to be easy to transport. So I don't know whether rustoleum would adhere to the fabric if it were to be folded and unfolded repeatedly.

thanks in advance.

I am not sure what the white material that lines the inside of the sides (and top and bottom) is, whether it is vinyl or a rubber lining.

The baffles (the translucent material that the light PASSESS THROUGH) are fine.

Just the LINING on the inside has yellowed over time.

The softboxes are foldable since they are made to be easy to transport. So I don't know whether rustoleum would adhere to the fabric if it were to be folded and unfolded repeatedly.

thanks in advance.

nope no paint - sorry. Never dealt with the more photo side reflector/tent before so can't advise.
I was thinking you were talking about a normal metal softlight. Guess the halogen ones are discontinued but shaped very similar to the below. Lamp inside a cove light reflector area at the bottom and all the light comes out reflected off the scoop indirectly - soft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back