Loudspeakers Mounting Speakers on Poles

JTMcQuay

Hey all,
So a Theatre I'm working at has some JBL Cabaret 4612B Loundspeakers that were mounted to a pipe which runs vertically and parallel to the walls at FoH. The cabinets were mounted by using Chain Link Fence Brackets, expanded and affixed to the back of the cabinets (going around the pipe) with stainless steel Deck Screws. (about a 1/2" long). Three such brackets were used per cabinet. This is how they have been mounted for evidently the last 25-30 years. We recently had to take them down and have the tweeters replaced, and now that we've got them back, I'm fighting to prevent them from being remounted in the same fashion...

I am wondering, could a steel tophat be installed in the bottom of the cabinets, and a proper pole mount bracket be used to mount them. I'd probably also be looking to attach some anchors to the top with a plate and eyebolts to provide for safety cables.

Are there any other ways these could be mounted safely... my major concern is that IF anything were to happen and one of these were to fall... I don't want it to be said we didn't take every precaution to mount them safely and correctly.

Thanks.
John

Are there any other ways these could be mounted safely
Is the pole-mount bracket no longer available?

proxy.php

Is the pole-mount bracket no longer available?

proxy.php
Honestly, I was unaware such a pole-mount bracket existed... Ours are mounted with "vertically" in respect to these, which appear "horizontal" to me... but If such a mounting bracket is available, I'd be fine using that... I suspect it's just like the top hats (On Stage Stands Model SSA1.5 or SSA1.375) only "Surface Mount"

Ours are mounted with "vertically" in respect to these, which appear "horizontal" to me
You mean rotated 90° CW or CCW? I suspect that would be peculiar with the dispersion pattern of the bi-labial (aka "baby butt") tweeter, but whatevs.

Derek, I'm not one to poke fun, but I didn't realize you were a teenage girl. "...bi-labial (aka "baby butt") tweeter, but whatevs. " - Derekleffew as to the speakers you want them with the two larger drivers on the bottom and tweeters on top, thats where you'll find the larger side to side dispersion.

Attached is a product data sheet for the more decorative version of the speaker, the 4612OK. It shows the coverage angle vs. frequency of the device. It also alludes to the pole mounting bracket accessory for the 4612B version.

As to the mounting, you are applauded to be concerned with how this is attached. If you can't find an original JBL pole mount bracket, you should seriously consider replacing the speakers on the grounds of safety. Modern speakers with integrated rigging hardware are typically built to meet or exceed the ANSI E1-8-2012 - Entertainment Technology—Loudspeaker Enclosures Intended for Overhead Suspension—Classification, Manufacture and Structural Testing standard available on the PLASA / ESTA standards web site at www.plasa.org/tsp/about/index.html

Attachments

• JBL 4612ok.pdf
    736.3 KB · Views: 442
Odd placement of drivers in that JBL... Generally you want everything in a vertical alignment....
Anyway, I would not reinstall the current speakers without the approved JBL bracket. Even though you did not do the original install, the blame if something happens usually gets dumped onto the last person that touched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back