MPX into a DMX board?

Microplex also known as LMX and NMX, is an analog protocall, that requires only two wires. Pin one is ground and pin 3 is the data. Pin 2 has a voltage that comes from the first dimmer pack to power the console. The voltage may be 12 volt DC or anything from 12 to 18 volt AC. The differences come from the early Lightronics and NSI units, both using the same protocall, but different voltages. Later Lightronics changed to have a selector switch in the dimmer pack and even later going to the same as NSI for compatability reasons.
One of the real dangers of having DMX as a 3 pin connector, is that people think that a 3 pin XLR on the pack is DMX, when if might be Microplex. Plugging DMX into a Microplex dimmer pack, either through direct or an adapter puts voltage on a data pin of the DMX and can destroy the RS485 transceiver chip.

I use a Leviton I/F 501 to convert DMX to MPX. It can also do it the other way around, and supports a multitude of other protocols too. I believe it's around $400.

You can add the DMX option yourself, it's just a 485 receiver and the 2 DMX ports that plug into the board. NSI may still be able to sell this to you. I attached the old instructions I found from them, it's very straight forward.

Attachments

• EB-96-7-OPT5512.pdf
    132.2 KB · Views: 235
it's just a 485 receiver and the 2 DMX ports that plug into the board.
I'm looking to upgrade my dds 6000 as well. I've been looking through mouser and these forums to try to figure out what I need. Any chance you can help me out and show me exactly what to buy. I've seen all these numbers floating around; 485, 3695, 75176. I am in completely over my head on what to buy.

To be a little pedantic -- you're not trying to get MPX *into* a DMX board, you're trying to translate DMX *from* the board to MPX *into* the dimmers you've got. A converter is the way to go.

Just give NSI a call, they can get you what you need if you are looking to add the DMX option to the pack or you can always go with the converter option.

Sorry to bump this, but I was wondering if anyone ever found out if NSI/Leviton can still source the chips. I inquired about this several years ago and I was told that the MPX dimmer packs I had could not be converted (without an active converter). I no longer work in that facility, but my brother does, and we still talk about the woes of MPX.

Not understanding your question. I don't think anyone ever said NSI/Leviton couldn't source the DMX receiver chip. They will be glad to sell you the conversion kit IF your dimmer pack is one of the ones that can be converted. If NSI told you your particular model pack can't use the conversion kit and needs an external converter box, that's probably the correct answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back