My First Multipin Build

albinotuba

Hi All,

So I’m getting ready to build my first Socapex cable. I should start by saying that I’m doing this more for the educational value than anything else. If I ever need to repair one under pressure, it will be helpful to have the experience of building one from scratch. I’ve previously built 3 and 4 conductor power cables and 3,4, and 5 Pin XLRs and other audio cables, so I’m not entirely out of my comfort zone, but this will be my first real multipin connector. It’s a solder-style Socapex. Any tips or helpful suggestions? For instance, I know that when attaching multipin connectors, it’s important to pay attention to which end of the cable you’re attaching it to, which isn’t an issue when working with connectors that have a more manageable number of pins. Are there any other bits of knowledge that will come in handy that I wouldn’t have picked up working with smaller connectors?

Thanks!

Build a rig that lets you set the connector "cups up" (pins down on table, not sideways) with something to hold your cable running straight up... This helps me get nice straight solders, so the cable lays nice when putting connector together.
Use shrink wrap... Many people don't because they think spacing on pins fine and they don't usually see it on bought socapex, but thoughts are not handmade...

As the pin number increases, how accurate you trim the wire length becomes critical. I can remember the old 37 pin Veam connectors, and unless you got that right, the cable would not hold up. Soca is a lot more forgiving, but the closer to the center, the shorter the wire should be, otherwise bunching becomes a problem. Also remember that the cables itself has a natural Male and Female end, especially true if you are using a cable with numbered wires. so make sure the rotation of the wires in the cable is friendly to the layout of the pins.

The first rule of hunting : Use enough gun. The first rule of 19 pin building: Use enough heat. If you've been working mainly on audio size soldering projects you may
need to get an iron with somewhat more power and a broader tip. There are a lot of tricks I could throw on the table, but they're not worth the candle if you're only building one cable.....

Build a rig that lets you set the connector "cups up" (pins down on table, not sideways) with something to hold your cable running straight up... This helps me get nice straight solders, so the cable lays nice when putting connector together.

Use shrink wrap... Many people don't because they think spacing on pins fine and they don't usually see it on bought socapex, but thoughts are not handmade...

Good advice. Thanks!

As the pin number increases, how accurate you trim the wire length becomes critical.

make sure the rotation of the wires in the cable is friendly to the layout of the pins.

Good points. Thanks!

PUT THE STRAIN RELIEF ON FIRST!!!.

I too have made that mistake more times than I care to admit.

work from the middle out. It can help to have the cable run over your shoulder so it's more in line with the connector. Take breaks as necessary.

Good idea. Thanks!

If you've been working mainly on audio size soldering projects you may need to get an iron with somewhat more power and a broader tip.

It’s a 45 watt iron. I have a number of tips for it; some are pretty hefty. You don’t think I need something bigger, do you?

There are a lot of tricks I could throw on the table, but they're not worth the candle if you're only building one cable.....

I’d love to hear your tricks. I’m only building one now but the knowledge could come in handy later.

Two main tips as follows : A) Invest in a good quality solder pot. The ease of prepping leads cant be beat. Strip,flux, tin, ready.
B) Find a source for grounding rings These devices force fit over pins 13 >18 meaning you don't have to bridge them
yourself with annoying little U shaped pieces of THHN. Litton Veam makes one as does, I think LEX Products.
NB: I'm with the other folks on the strain relief and the heat shield.
NB 2 I like to work from the bottom up, kinda like dealing with a pin
pin patch in a road rack...........

Well I finished building the cable. Made a ton of mistakes, learned a lot of lessons, had a little bit of fun, and burned the snot out of my index finger. But at least now I'll have a better idea of what to do if I ever need to repair one. Thanks for all your help!

That should teach you not to pick your nose before soldering! :p

Believe there has been many past posts about doing solder type Soco posted on this forum. Of the above in reply... made the cable... ton of mistakes, anyone want to trust a messy or cold solder or bad connection as possible still bad? Doing Soco is a trained and supervised thing, 40w minimum at 850 degrees when used properly. Cold solder makes for resistance to current waiting on a problem such as a voltage spike and solder melting in shorting between pins causing bigger problems.

Soldering Soco is not a say home owner type I read about and "I figured it out" type of thing to be doing on your own, this is life safety and knowledge that is only given permission to upon personal instruction and inspection. Your first cable isn't going to be correct nor many others.

I also challenge the concept of pre-tinning wires for a Soco type connection. Nice conept, perhaps it works for you, but doubts on my part.

Sorry to have questions about above posts in just wanting to get it correct.

For the record,from '92>'05 at a major east coast venue(think 90' battens) I built +/- 50 sticks of cable and +/- 35 fanouts with the pre tinning system,introduced to me by my then boss. To the best of my knowledge, that whole pile of stuff has not suffered 0ne electrical failure. As I say this is a big hall and high wattage loads prevail. So yes, I guess you could say it works for me............

For the record,from '92>'05 at a major east coast venue(think 90' battens) I built +/- 50 sticks of cable and +/- 35 fanouts with the pre tinning system,introduced to me by my then boss. To the best of my knowledge, that whole pile of stuff has not suffered 0ne electrical failure. As I say this is a big hall and high wattage loads prevail. So yes, I guess you could say it works for me............

I apologize for my last post, tinning has worked for you on Soco cable and others in the past. I find this a difficult thing in fitting for wire/pin and not necessary espically if fluxed. Agreed that someone has inspected your work on 12ga wire than at some point which was my main concern. Soldering XLR is very different than Soco we would hopefully agree.

Best way to do a pre-tinned wire 12ga. Soco is perhaps a good technique to learn for me and others if wanted to fill in the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back