1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member from redneck riviera

Discussion in 'New Member Board' started by stoteg, Apr 9, 2009.

1. stoteg

stoteg New Member

Well then howdy y'all. God help me if I ever talk like that in real life.

I'm a 20 year old lanky college student in my 4th semester. Fell in love with theatre and acting at 16 at the hands of a woman named Christa Whittaker; decided to pursue it as a career. First year of college I realized that if that was going to be my career, I would need something to make actual money, so I fell in love with lighting at the hands of her husband, Bob Whittaker, for a few reasons:

1. the first time I ever met Bob was when I was 16. TGIF. after show. turn to give his wife a hug. hit waitress, forget about christa, start apoligizing to waitress all at once. my hand drifts down on top of christa's chest. A 7" blade is running across bob's thumb across from me. Friends ever since.

2. Before I cleaned it up (a bit) I'd ingested a number of substances that had cemented an intense appreciation of colors.

3. I'm slightly color blind.

I hail from a small college in NW Florida, and spend most of my time at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center. For such a small town/college we're outrageously privileged thanks to a woman named Mattie and the foundation people who b*tch over her money. Our mainstage seats 1600, our blackbox seats almost 200, and our ampitheatre can seat around 4000 with the grass. We ahve a fullsize 2 door loading dock and wood/metal/welding shop. I get to work with a full size grandMA board pretty much whenever I want to and only when I can figure it out. Really wish I could get hired onto a house crew contract but unfortunately that won't happen for awhile cuz I didn't clean it up in time (haha). I also need a dang job.
  2. Goph704

Goph704 Member

Hola
    How close are you to Orlando? If your job hunting you might want to look at a place called Orlando Shakespeare Festival. they are a great place to be, and their M.E. Rob is actually an amazing guy. I worked with them a while ago and enjoyed the experience a lot even though I had to leave early. A friend of mine also worked for the Miami opera down there and I know they hire out for a year long contract at least. Having that Grand MA on your resume is a great thing, and you might want to point that out in interviews. Then of course there is LDI and SETC, but your a little late for both. How do you feel about rental work? I understand there is a lot of that down there.
    -Good luck