New product from Doug Fleenor

Ya know, I made my own set of those many years ago and they work great! I'm glad somebody finally brought that to market!

Only one warning - when using in reverse, you should avoid running more than one 1k PAR thru a mic cable. More than that tends to generate too much smoke (although that does save fog fluid). :)

I'm glad to hear that DFD recommends using orange extension cords over barbed wire fencing for DMX transmission - barbed wire fencing is just so much harder to run. Maybe next year DFD will come out with an opto-splitter with these connectors. As I hate having wall wart power supplies, I hope they just include a power supply for AC/DC conversion in the case and provide a hard wired molded plug.

God bless Dr. DMX and his crew! Gotta love 'em!

What's wrong with the roll of barbed wire? That was working fine! ;)

Not getting picky here because I do appreciate the flexibility of orange extension cord... but what we really need is a DMX to Barbed wire adapter!

Pshaw! Product doesn't maintain the integrity of the five individual pins, which of course is mandatory for proper transmission of DMX512. (I don't know where the 12 comes in though. 12 gauge, maybe?)
What purpose do these two pictured adapters serve and what are their proper names?
proxy.php

proxy.php

adapt1-jpg.3345

View attachment 3345
proxy.php
(I don't know what happened to the other attachments.)

Good gosh, that was SEVEN YEARS AGO?!

Last edited:
In all seriousness, if XLR is rated to 250VAC, then why can't it be used for power?

The issue is that if you run power through XLR, someone could come in the space unknowing that your apparent audio cables are actually carrying 120v, they'll end up plugging it into your mixer and boom. Fried. Not to mention possible injury from shock.
This is why scroller DMX is 4-pin, because that way you don't accidentally cross-plug something that's carrying current into a normal DMX device. Usually a style of connector is used univerally for one purpose only. You can see how sometimes this is disregarded when you look at 3-pin DMX. Now people run DMX through Audio cables. *shudder*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back