New Soundbooth

Hello, we are currently in the process of moving our soundboard and building a new booth. I am in the designing phase and want to be sure to get everything we need for the most professional booth we can have. The size of the venue is about 1,200 seats and the booth is near the back right of the middle isle. Right now I am setting up the digital snake, and the SPL reading software called Trends from TC Furlong. What else should I add? I know some booths have small monitors in them, any suggestions there? Basically if you could outline the main things and little things I should include that would be awesome.

"Booths" are for lighting operators and stage managers ... sound ops need a sound desk or sound "area", not a booth.

I suggest you not have front or side walls on your space, and you keep as far away from the back wall as possible, and put some acoustic treatment on any walls that are around you.

If you must be in an enclosed room, then make sure you place the equipment -- particularly the console -- so that you can lean out of the window to hear what's going on in the house. A lot of the photos in the referenced thread show sound boards blocking the window so that the sound op can't get within a foot of the window opening ... this makes for miserable hearing accuracy.

Other thoughts:

* A cable trough that runs from the sound area to the stage, so that you can run whatever cables you need to from show to show. Don't ask for anything built-in or you will start a never-ending pursuit of electrical noise problems with the facilities people.

* A place to mount wireless paddle antennas and run cables to the sound area.

* Clearcom cabling

* Plenty of electrical outlets both at the floor level and at table level. You will constantly be plugging things in from show to show.

* lots of dim console lighting.

* Shared circuit between sound area and stage area so that you can avoid ground loop hum issues when using powered speakers.

* Make sure your floor is high enough that you can see over the heads of the audience members during a standing ovation.

-- John

Reactions: 0HZ
Be sure to install extra runs of CAT (some consoles require more than one, and there should always be a couple of spares, as well as networking lines) and a couple of mic cables for Comm and a couple of DMX/AES runs.

What console will you be using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back