On-Stage Monitors for Musical Theatre

Hey guys, I've been digging around on the internet/on this site for a while, and I can't seem to find any answers, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me out.

I'm designing sound and running live audio for a production of Urinetown: The Musical at my university in about a month, and I'm looking for an on-stage monitoring solution. I think I have exactly what I am looking for, but we don't have enough in stock to make the system work. We have a set of RAMSA WS-A10-K speakers that are the appropriate size and can get plenty loud for the size. The scenic designer and director are perfectly okay with a few monitors of this size on the front of the stage, but I can't seem to find any that are comparable. Does anybody know of any speakers of this size/quality that I would be able to use for this purpose? I'm open to suggestions of other monitoring solutions as well. Something with a 1/4" jack connector is preferred. I've included pictures for visual reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0199.JPG
    IMG_0199.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 292
There is a passive version of the Anchor AN-1000X, which i use for monitors and they can get pretty loud.

The Anchor AN1000X seems appropriate. It's very similarly sized, and it even has a 1/4" input jack. One potential downside is that you have volume, treble, and bass knobs on the front, so you'll need to make sure those don't get adjusted from where you want them. If you're looking to rent, pretty much every shop will have a ton of these in stock.

I usually don't try to put vocals back into monitors for musical theater. If you are just trying to get tracks/effects back on to the stage, consider using sidefills. You will be able to use a larger speaker with better pattern control and then the speakers will be off stage and out of the way. You can also consider flying the monitors rather than keeping them on the ground.

If you do need a low profile solution the Ramsa will sound better than an Anchor. Ramsa isn't selling in the US any more but was the pro audio side of Panasonic - they made good equipment back in the early 90's. EAW JF80s or Meyer UP 4XPs would be the professional answer, but both are a little pricey. EV makes the EVU series which is less cost.

Reactions: Ric
Hey here is a idea.
I have seen/done this before, you can take 4 speakers if you have them and put one on each backstage wing. The other 2 can go on the stage facing the actors. DO NOT get loud speakers or speakers with more than 300 watts because you do not want to drown out the actors when they sing.

Hey here is a idea.
I have seen/done this before, you can take 4 speakers if you have them and put one on each backstage wing. The other 2 can go on the stage facing the actors. DO NOT get loud speakers or speakers with more than 300 watts because you do not want to drown out the actors when they sing.

If you're talking about monitors that are upstage of the actors, that's not a good idea. I've seen that done before and the only thing that happened was horrible feedback, very frequently. Maybe there's a way to do it, I'm not really a sound person, but in my limited experience it was poor.

Thanks for the input guys! I ended up just finding a few more Ramsas to use as front fill, and improving what we had for side fill. I tested the whole rig a few days ago and it has fantastically even coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back