Control/Dimming Operating LEDs on an Express 48/96

woolycd

I’m working with our local high school on their Fall production. We want to incorporate some LED fixtures into the light plot and we’re trying to figure out how to best program them on an Express 48/96. We plan to use 12 fixtures in 5 channel mode, RGBWA. Don't know yet if we'll set them up in groups or individually. Is it worth my time trying to develop a fixture personality and load it into the board or should I just assign each attribute to a DMX Channel and build cues from the keypad? Any thoughts?

I would probably program a number of groups with "go-to" looks that you might want, particularly if you're going to address them individually. If you're grouping them all, then 5 channels certainly isn't onerous to operate from the keypad. Would developing a fixture personality be worth it if the strips are only in 5 channel mode?

Do the fixtures have a master intensity or not? Are they 16 bit or 8 bit If they do have a master dimmer, or are 16 bit, I'd build a profile. For master dimmer, I'd make the color channels independent channels so grand master doesn't affect them. 8 bit and just color channels, doesn't matter much if they are generic dimmers or patched as fixtures.

I'd build a personality to allow the use of focus points, which I think you'll find invaluable when trying to recall specific colors. Otherwise, you're going to spend much time writing down and typing in values, five per fixture, twelve fixtures, equals 60 values per cue.

Either way you go I would make a fixture profile. It just makes it that much easier. The 10 minutes it takes to make and load the fixture profile is nothing compare to punching 100 and 106 and 111 and etc etc. when you can go fixture 1 thru 12 at FL and adjust colors as nesscesary.

Thanks for the great input. I finally found a personality editor that works on my computer. The links in the Programming Moving Lights wiki article no longer work[*] but I finally found the program. Now all I need to do is find a computer with a 3.5 inch floppy drive and a clean 3.5 inch disk and hope the drive on the board works.

[*I think I've fixed all of them. If I missed any, let me know. @derekleffew]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a USB to Floppy drive for all my needs. You used to be able to find them at Walmart but now you have to buy em online. They are worth the 15$ investment.

ETC can help with the personality. I use fixtures. Then also use macros to select multiple fixtures like even or odd.

Step effects for color is fun. And subroutine cues, in blind cue type 4. It basically chases cues.

Do you have 60+ channels available? That will make a big difference in how you program.

I should have 96+ channels available. I'll find out once I patch them in. I've got profiles for both 5 channel and 9 channel built and can transfer them to a floppy at the local library (where my wife works). I'm thinking I could operate in 9 channel mode and build a 6 channel personality to catch the intensity channel capability. I would just have to increment my DMX Start by 9 or more. I should still have enough channels for a 6 channel personality. I'll be trying this on Expression Offline to see if skipped channels are counted as used.

It's going to be fun learning how operate with fixtures, luckily my student tech guy is really bright (put not really intended but it's too good to pass up). I hope to be able to get some of these LEDs set up late this next week.

I should have 96+ channels available. I'll find out once I patch them in. I've got profiles for both 5 channel and 9 channel built and can transfer them to a floppy at the local library (where my wife works). I'm thinking I could operate in 9 channel mode and build a 6 channel personality to catch the intensity channel capability. I would just have to increment my DMX Start by 9 or more. I should still have enough channels for a 6 channel personality. I'll be trying this on Expression Offline to see if skipped channels are counted as used.

It's going to be fun learning how operate with fixtures, luckily my student tech guy is really bright (put not really intended but it's too good to pass up). I hope to be able to get some of these LEDs set up late this next week.

I have never tried to use a partial fixture profile. If you could keep us updated when you do I would love to know if it works.

I have never tried to use a partial fixture profile. If you could keep us updated when you do I would love to know if it works.

I've done it for the ETC LEDs in 9 channel mode, leaving the strobe channel out since its channel [HASHTAG]#9[/HASHTAG] anyways, and just addressing the fixtures as if it were there. Works fine, if you don't need the missing channel, and reduces board channels a bit. It does not get back the DMX address though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back