Osram new products

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Here are some pictures from the Osram booth.

They have completed their Alu-PAR series. Notice the PAR on the left doesn't have light coming out of the back. The Aluminum body of the Alu-PAR means no light leak in the back. It also means a much lighter fixture.
DSCN0702.JPG

They also have a really nice series of dimmable LED lamps. Immagine what we could do for the environment if we all switched our industry switched all our house lights to dimmable LED lamps!
DSCN0710.JPG

I shot video of the new Mole LED in the Mole booth. That fixture uses Osram technology for the lamp. Look for the video coming soon.

Last edited:
Being charged with reducing energy bills at the theatre I was looking into LED replacements for PAR30 and PAR38 lamps. The problem I've seen is the (current) lack of lumens / candlepower versus traditional halogen. Where you able to compare the Osram unit in this regard?

Unfortunately, no. The display showed the complete line of LED's but it was not a shoot out.

As with all LED products, the technology is very good but if the lumen output is high enough depends a lot on your application. Unfortunately, LED PAR replacements are still too expensive to just experiment with. So it's VERY important to do you photometric homework before switching. If the math works out in your favor, you can save a lot of energy and long term money by switching.

As a side note for those considering the switch: In many spaces I've worked, we don't run the house lights above 60%-75% for setting the mood. So get a light meter and find out how much light you REALLY use instead of simply calculating what your incandescent lights are capable of producing at 100%. You may find that although an LED alternative is not bright enough to be a complete replacement, but it is bright enough to replace the output that you typically use.

Also note that LED lamps don't dim all the way in and out. They dim nice and smooth from 20%-100%, but there is a "blink" on and off at about 20%. For some that's not acceptable. For others it's a matter of just getting used to it.

Send me an email (Mark[email protected]) and I can send you the specs. on the LEDr (Retrofit) lamps. Some are brighter than the Incandescent lamps they are replacing. Some are the same, some are dimmer. The beam/color looks really good though.

Cheers,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back