Painting plastic trash barrels

Polyethylene doesn't take paint very well. That said, you may get satisfactory results by scuffing the surface and applying latex paint.

Does anyone have to be in them? You could possibly do white contact paper (usually sticks to plastic pretty well).

Cut the barrel in half, spray it and put it back together.

If you want to keep it whole then drop a gallon of paint in there put a good seal on the top and roll and shake it dump the excess let it dry rinse and repeat til the job is done. Take the trash barrel to the store with you and ask the paint dept what the best paint is for that specific plastic.

I retract my last statement and say you return the barrel and buy one from that link.

Those are cool, although I don't think I can convince the client that 13 qt rounds up to 55 gal.

I did some searching, and found video of the process of painting plastic automotive parts. Extensive and expensive, but an option if they really want it to last. Otherwise I proposed scouring with sanding compound, and lots of cans of Krylon Fusion. If I get the job, I'll investigate a non-rattle can product a little further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back